Creating a mobile application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1225802336 posted

Hi I want to create an application for a PDA using visual studio 2005. My problem is which option should i select, would it be "new project" or "new website", and when i have chosen the right option what are the further options i should select, thank you.

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:28 PM

Answers

• User-1655686159 posted

Hi Pmillio,

Basically, both provide similar functionality, but differ a bit from each other:

1. Web Application Project is compiled to a single dll, whereas WebSite is compiled partially, by page, when the page is requested.
    2. There is a small directory structure change - For example, all BOL is kept in App_Code folder when using WebSite.
    3. You can more precisely choose what should belong to your project when using Web Application Project

These are only the basic differences, which I think of at the beginning. For further reading i redirect you here where you have a thorough comparison of both.
    To know more about Web Application Projects I recommend reading this.
    Also, worth knowing are Web Deployment Projects which can be treated as "plugins" to your WebSite or Web Application Project. They help with configuring the way the project should be deploymed.

hth

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:11 AM

All replies

• User-1225802336 posted
    Has anyone got an idea on what apporach i should follow, thank you.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:59 AM
  • User-1655686159 posted

Hi Pmillio,

Basically, both provide similar functionality, but differ a bit from each other:

1. Web Application Project is compiled to a single dll, whereas WebSite is compiled partially, by page, when the page is requested.
    2. There is a small directory structure change - For example, all BOL is kept in App_Code folder when using WebSite.
    3. You can more precisely choose what should belong to your project when using Web Application Project

These are only the basic differences, which I think of at the beginning. For further reading i redirect you here where you have a thorough comparison of both.
    To know more about Web Application Projects I recommend reading this.
    Also, worth knowing are Web Deployment Projects which can be treated as "plugins" to your WebSite or Web Application Project. They help with configuring the way the project should be deploymed.

hth

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:11 AM