Best Authentication Library for Windows Phone 8.1 & Windows Desktop 8.1 Windows Store apps using Open Connect 1.0

Question

• What's the best go forward framework (Web Authentication Broker, WPF, other) to use when authenticating against an Open Connect 1.0 authentication server (that's OpenID + oAuth v2.0)?  My developer says that Web Authentication Broker is not supported in Windows Desktop 8.1 (so if you can confirm this that would be great also).

We've created a universal app to support Windows Destkop, Tablet, Phone (8.1 and up) and plan to add support for iOS and Android via Xamarin later.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Jacob

Saturday, December 27, 2014 10:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• What do you mean by Windows Desktop here?

WebAuthenticationBroker cannot be used in a desktop app, but you can run Windows Store apps (using WebAuthenticationBroker) on desktop PCs.

WPF runs as a desktop app and cannot be used on Windows Phone.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 1:33 AM
    Owner
  • By Windows Desktop I mean Windows 8.1 (ideally 8.0 also) not Windows Phone.  We're trying to find the best and go forward direction for authentication for a Microsoft Universal App.  Currently, we have a Windows Store App (universal app) that runs on Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Desktop/Tablet 8.1.

Will you confirm that WebAuthenticationBroker works with a Windows 8.1 Desktop/Tablet Windows Store application?

Jacob

Sunday, December 28, 2014 2:20 AM
  • Yes. WebAuthenticationBroker was designed for Windows Store apps.

You can see its documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.security.authentication.web.webauthenticationbroker.aspx

Minimum supported client

Windows 8 [Windows Store apps only]

Minimum supported server

Windows Server 2012 [Windows Store apps only]

Minimum supported phone

Windows Phone 8.1 [Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 and Windows Runtime apps]

Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:35 AM
    Owner
  • Hopefully, the third time posting this to a discussion area is a charm.

What's the best go forward framework (Web Authentication Broker, WPF, other) to use when authenticating against an Open Connect 1.0 authentication server (that's OpenID + oAuth v2.0)?  Web Authentication Broker seems to be supported in Windows Desktop 8.1, but what if we want to support Windows Desktop 8.0 or Windows 7.0 and before?

We've created a universal app to support Windows Destkop, Tablet, Phone (8.1 and up) and plan to add support for iOS and Android via Xamarin later.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Jacob Hall jacob@agingo.com

Jacob

Friday, January 09, 2015 11:58 AM
  • Hi Jacob - I think you're asking the wrong group of people if you haven't received an answer to this question, for the following reasons:

1) I've never heard of Open Connect, and if nobody else is responding to this, they probably haven't either. You may want to find a forum that supports Open Connect to ask if they have a best practices recommendation for Store apps.

2) The recommendations for Windows Store apps are for Store apps only.  We're not going to make recommendations for Windows 7 or desktop apps - that's not what we do here.

3) For Store apps - whatever works best for you is what you should use.  WAB is one method, but if WCF (I assume you meant WCF as a communications method, not WPF) is available, it might suit you better in other ways. It's up to you to decide what is best in these cases.  You may just want to try both and test performance or ease of use. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 09, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Please don't post multiple threads on the same topic. If you need more information on an answer you have received then please explain more clearly what you need in the existing thread.
    Friday, January 09, 2015 3:58 PM
    Owner