Windows Update and IE don't work on Windows To Go

Question

• I have tried running Windows To Go from a flash drive on multiple laptops (different models).  In all cases, everything starts up OK, but Windows Update always fails. Also, IE tries to launch, but always crashes before fulling loading.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

find below a copy/paste from one of my previous posts giving bare instructions on the process, remember it is a unsupported feature in WDP, it will most probably be in the first Public Beta, with a lot easier processus (it is a assistant driven processus in other builds).

given the fact you have access to a running win8 machine do the following:

launch CMD with elevated rights, plug your usb drive in.

in the cmd, launch DISKPART, list disk to id you usb drive, select it, partition it, format it in NTFS and Active It.

with imagex, apply install.wim from win8DP iso to the usb drive partition (in my example it's given the U: letter)

then execute bcdboot to initiate bootloader as resident:

bcdboot.exe U:\windows /s U: /f ALL

exit prompt, eject usb...and off you go to boot on your USB on your laptop (and prey it has Win8-compatible hardware).

hope this help.

Best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Friday, November 11, 2011 5:46 PM

All replies

• Friday, November 11, 2011 1:06 AM
  • I looked over the instructions referenced in one of the threads you listed (from pureinfotech.com) and it matched up with the instructions I followed from another website.  The instructions in borncity.com mentioned using the Personal Workspace Creator utility, but I don't have access to that earlier build of Windows 8.  Any other suggestions?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Hi there,

find below a copy/paste from one of my previous posts giving bare instructions on the process, remember it is a unsupported feature in WDP, it will most probably be in the first Public Beta, with a lot easier processus (it is a assistant driven processus in other builds).

given the fact you have access to a running win8 machine do the following:

launch CMD with elevated rights, plug your usb drive in.

in the cmd, launch DISKPART, list disk to id you usb drive, select it, partition it, format it in NTFS and Active It.

with imagex, apply install.wim from win8DP iso to the usb drive partition (in my example it's given the U: letter)

then execute bcdboot to initiate bootloader as resident:

bcdboot.exe U:\windows /s U: /f ALL

exit prompt, eject usb...and off you go to boot on your USB on your laptop (and prey it has Win8-compatible hardware).

hope this help.

Best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Friday, November 11, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I did go through the same steps that your post detailed, but I still end up with the same two problems. I don't really mind the IE problem, since I have installed Firefox and Chrome and they work OK. I would like to find a way to fix Windws Update, however.  It displays WU error code 8007000005.  That code shows up a lot in Google in reference to problems with Vista. Any ideas on how to fix it? BTW, I have rebuilt the Windows to Go installation on the flash drive a couple of times, but end up with the same error.

It may just require some patience for a beta version of Win 8 to arrive, but I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the WU problem.

John
    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:05 PM
  • error code 8007000005

Often that is a symptom of a permissions problem.   You can use ProcMon to try to uncover its details or just help find and supplement whatever diagnostics you are getting with it.   E.g filtering with  Operation Contains Write  could help find if any log messages were created.   And while you can't use it to find an exact message in a log file to correlate a Write to, it is surprisingly easy to infer that based on the length of the write, the length of the messages in the log and any timestamp information you can find.   Then you can cancel your filter and find out what else was happening just before that write was done.   Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Have you been able to install any Windows Developer Preview updates?
    Do you get the same error message?
    The error code 0x80070005 is also described as ACCESS DENIED (you do not have permission to install updates).
    Make sure you are logged in with an account that has administrator privilege when you try to run Windows Update.

Look at the information from KB article even though it is not written for Windows Developer Preview.

Article ID: 968003 - Error message when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003: 0x80070005

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968003

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:31 PM
  • No, I still haven't been able to get them and still do get the same 0x80070005 error code when attempting to update.  I am logged in with an account with administrator privileges. Per Robert Aldwinckle's message, I attempted several things to get around the permissions problems. I verified that the account I was logged in under had administrator rights, I ran wuapp.exe as an administrator (via a right-click), and I enabled the actual Administrator account, logged in there, and tried running WU. The same error message appeared (as it did when I ran the program as an administrator), however IE did launch and run correctly under the Administrator account.

I also tried to manually search for updates from the Windows Defender UI, but that also failed with a 0x80070005 error message.  Interestingly, Windows Defender reported that authentication failed (authentication with the MS WU service, internally, or as a properly licensed product?). I was going to then attempt to reenter the license key, but the link from System Properties didn't provide a way to reenter it.

I haven't yet tried Method 2 in the KB article you listed, but will when I return to work Monday.

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hello

I am very interested in this new feature in Windows 8 and also have problems with the internet connection in my Windows To Go …

But we have in this discussion here a ‘Support Engineer’ and a ‘Partner’

So I like to know your their about a question I asked here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/057d226b-ece0-4fa3-bd79-a9748992c380

. . . .  the same question applies to ‘Portable WorkSpace’ which has been present in a leak and then renamed ‘Windows To Go’ in WDP :

Is this feature going to disappear in the beta and final client versions and be only available in Enterprise or Server versions ?

How long will we have to wait for rumors about 'Windows To Go' to be confirmed or contradicted ?

until the beta version ? (at CES in Januray or even to late February as some rumors alredy say)

- or until RC, RTM or the final versions of Windows 8 around the autumn 2012 ?

• Edited by franz999 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:02 PM
    Monday, December 05, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Hello franz999,

Even features that are in the Beta version of a product may not make it in the released version of the operating system.
    There is no information released about Windows To Go or new file system.

Microsoft announced the Windows Developer Preview Beta will be available late February. This announcement was made at a two-hour preview event in San Francisco on December 6.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Thanks a lot Marylin for your answer !

So I understand that I have to wait at least until late February to maybe have some information about the avaibility of ‘Windows To Go’ in the future releases of Windows 8.

After the BIG presentation made at the Conference BUILD last September by Steve Silverberg and Arvind Padole, I got very interested in this new feature.

But because Microsoft does not say if this feature will or will not be available in final high-end client SKUs versions (like Windows 8 Pro, Ultimate),

my interest in the WHOLE new Windows 8 is declining or even finished.

Tablets, colored tiles and other ARM apps in Windows 8 are of no interest at all to me !

• Edited by franz999 Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:04 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:02 AM
  • According to this picture I would say "Windows to Go" is a feature of the Enterprise Edition:

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Thanks to A. Ziegler !

I think that you are probably right : it is not sure at all that this Windows To Go feature is going to be present in the beta (by end of february 2012) and in the final ‘client versions’ of Windows 8.

The expiring date of the actual Windows 8 Developer Preview is 3/11/2012 (as shown in winver.exe)

So I think that this means that the USB drives handed out by Microsoft at the BUILD and the ones we created from the actual WDP (using Imagex) will stop working on March the 12th of 2012 !

Is this correct ?

So if this feature is not anymore in the future client versions (beta, RC, RTM, final release,…) it means that experimenting with WTG will be finished for the “grand public” and reserved only to Enterprise versions.

What a pity !

This (and other missing things like the ReFS file system) destroys most of my interest in Windows 8 as a new OS … because I am no going to play with my fingers and the tiles of Metro

And I will probably stay with XP as my main OS … !

• Edited by franz999 Monday, December 26, 2011 5:16 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Maybe the feature is part of Professional Edition because this edition also allows KMS activation and I think KMS or maybe the new AD based activation

is used to license the USB flash drive based Windows 8 installations.

So maybe there are chances to see this in Prof, too but if we are realistic this is a feature for the enterprise edition only :(
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:42 PM