Does Expression Web 4 have a calendar creation and photo album feature? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Expression Web 2 and would upgrade if the newer version has the features this one lacks. 
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:52 PM

All replies

• No.  I doubt it ever will.  There are dozens of photo albums you can use and add to your site: google and ye shall find, many easy, many free, highly varied.  That's not something a website design tool should constrain you about.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I'll check those out, but what about adding a calendar feature to a site.
    jlparis
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Nope, no calendar. Do you want just a calendar to display dates of the month? A calendar to list events? By the week? By the month? By the hour each day? Allow visitors to update via the browser? Etc.....

So many possibilities! That, again, isn't something a web design program should do. There are so many available on the web, and so many different uses and possible configurations that it would be pointless to include one (and only one) or try to accommodate every calendering function people might want and bloat the program needlessly.

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Calendars to do what?  Just display a calendar? Interact with the calendar in some way?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:17 AM
  • For photo galleries see this thread http://expressionwebforum.com/index.php/topic,23.msg28.html#msg28

As for calendars there is a calendar control if your server supports asp.net but you'd still have to write code to connect it to a data source. There are many calendar applications you can download and install that are open source or low cost.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:39 AM
  • I use Google Calendar for my Band website... I created a GMail account with my band name as a name. My wife and I have separate calendars that update each other and the one for my band updates the one on my web page and both of ours. see www.coyotebluesredemption for a sample. by the way I created my site from a blank website in EW4.

Friday, July 13, 2012 1:15 AM
  • I use Google Calendar for my Band website... I created a GMail account with my band name as a name. My wife and I have separate calendars that update each other and the one for my band updates the one on my web page and both of ours. see www.coyotebluesredemption for a sample. by the way I created my site from a blank website in EW4.

Not bad for a non-pro developer. And good on ya for not having music start playing unbidden; a cardinal sin often committed by music-oriented site developers (e.g. Burnsville Band). Sure fire way to get visitors to click away from the site immediately...

That said, if I might offer a suggestion... ;-) You need to provide a contact form for your Contact page. There are problems with your current setup. Those email addresses in the clear that way are fresh meat for email harvesting spambots. Over time, you'll find those inboxes more full of spam than fan email.

Furthermore, the "mailto:" link, when clicked, attempts to launch the visitor's default email client. Many visitors these days use Webmail-based email (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc.), and don't have a default email client configured, nor any accounts set up, so that even if the OS launches a built-in client such as Windows Live Mail, there are no accounts set up to use it. A form overcomes both of these issues. Google "free contact form" to find many alternatives.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Regarding the MAILTO link and the possible use of forms- there may be another way.

http://www.ajatix.com/email-spam-blocker/expression-web-add-in.html

I found this product from Ajatix ( products in gallery of this site) that claims to solve the Spam Bot problem on email links. The Email Spam Bot Blocker EW add-in is about 30.00 as a one time purchase. I dont know what technology they use- It does not look like forms however. We have used third party forms for a monthly fee on some sites. Those fees can easily exceed the cost of this product in a few months. If this add-in works well it may be an alternative. I dont know if using it would still open up a visitors email client with the issues mentioned above by Scott. 

It would be great if some of the pro's here could check it out and give opinions.

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:45 AM
  • From reading their description, it would appear to simply be an email address obfuscator, which would simply result in an email address that would be unreadable by spambots, but still use the mailto: mechanism. (I am not about to install the add-in just to try it out to confirm that surmise. I would leave that to one who is interested in confirming or refuting the point.) If that's the route to be taken, I would go with one of the many free obfuscators available online. Simply google "email obfuscator" to find a large selection, all free.

That route still has the problem of launching the user's default client, and also of appearing less professional than a form-based solution, as well as having less flexibility. I don't often recommend for-pay solutions, but since that barrier has been broached, I can recommend personally the Coffeecup Web Form Builder, which is easy to use, fully featured, includes reCAPTCHA for anti-spam, and provides for a dropdown selector to allow the user to choose from a list of email recipients, thus allowing individual band members to be addressed.

At $69, it is not cheap. That's a small investment for someone who does Web development, since it is good for as many sites as you wish, and upgrades are free, forever. However, for a non-professional building a single brochure site for his band... eh, not so much. Likewise $30 for a plugin he'll use just once. For his purposes I would recommend one of the free alternatives, such as James Huggins's free contact form, an example of which may be found here, with download link and instructions for use.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:27 PM