Set Menu item side by side nOT at 2 corners. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VS.Net3.5 CF device application. In my first form in the new(), I created a menu and add 2 items to it.

ex. Dim mymenu=MainMenu

Dim aItem=menuItem

Dim bItem=menuItem.

I then set their texts and added to mymenu. Now when I opened the form, the 2 menu items shows up at the bottom scrren but at the 2 far corners. I want them at the bottom left corner side by side. The form's MainMenu has, I think, 2 default items and they are set at the 2 corners. But I need them side by side. I can't add an empty item. Thanks.  

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• I may not fully understand what you said but it seems that you are against the guidelines. I would suggest that you follow the guidelines mentioned in the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxcompact/thread/6cda1576-2cf7-4b2a-9e57-0c55f1c2f500 

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by syedripon Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:15 PM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Thanks for at least 1 answer. I just need 2 menu items. I added my main menu in my form and then added  2items to it. But as you mentioned these 2 items are now displayed at the bottom 2 corners. I just need both of them at the bottom left corner side by side.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Have you read the guideline? I sugest that you follow it as it will provide a consistent interface for the users.

With that said, you can achieve what you want by adding a toolbar control to the form. First drag & drop a ToolBar control from the Toolbox to the designer of the form, then add one (or several) button to the toolbar. Don't forget to assign an image (from an imagelist) to the button, otherwise the toolbar will not "squeeze" the main menu to the left corner.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Let me explain. I am adding a menu in my form in the run time by the code and then added 2 items--Actions and GoTo. I saw they are at the 2 bottom corners by default. But I have been asked to put them side by side. So I added another empty item to the menu and set its visible=false. This works fine by bringing the 2 menu items side by side on the left bottom corner. But by doing this I am causing another proble. I have a smaller form that I can dock during operation of my application. But when I drag this small Form near the bottom right corner(where the empty menu item sits automatically and pushes the 2nd menu item on the left thus setting them side by side) the empty menu item is shwon on the bottom corner part of the form thus hiding the botoom rightmost corner part of this small dockable/dragable form.

So I am trying to find another way to set my 2 menu items side by side on the bottom left most corner NOT by adding another empty menu item. Thanks.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:45 PM