none
pnputil cannot remove "Phantom" drivers RRS feed

• Question

• My system seems to have a huge number of "Phantom" drivers. I get the list by running pnputil -e and when I try to remove a driver such as this:

Published name :            oem59.inf
    Driver package provider :   Shaul
    Class :                     Human Interface Devices
    Driver date and version :   12/06/2011 6.0.6000.16386
    Signer name :

by running pnputil -f -d oem59.inf I get:

Deleting the driver package failed :The specified file is not an installed OEM INF.

Any idea as how to remove these drivers? Thank you!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• you put your machine into an unknown state. I would just ignore the older versions of the INF that you attempted to manually clean up

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by shaul_ei Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:06 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:42 PM

All replies

• did you manually remove some files in an attempt to clean up the system yourself?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Thank you Doron for getting back to me.

I refer to very old installations so I would not be surprised if I did remove files manually. Assuming I did, what can I do now?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:37 AM
  • you put your machine into an unknown state. I would just ignore the older versions of the INF that you attempted to manually clean up

• Marked as answer by shaul_ei Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:06 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:42 PM
  • I'll do it. I'm just curious where pnputil takes this info from and whether these drivers might cause problems when re-installing them. 
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:06 PM
  • It could be that the OEM INF file no longer has an associated OEM PNF file. This can be verified by opening %windir%\inf. If the named OEM INF file does not have a corresponding OEM PNF file, rename or delete the OEM INF file that is named in the error.

• Edited by TenOf11 Saturday, March 2, 2013 3:12 PM Cautionary measure to alleviate potential renaming of other INF files.
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 3:07 PM
  • PNF files are not required and it should function fine without them.  Renaming an OEM INF file puts your machine into an unknown state and could potentially cause problems.

Monday, March 4, 2013 4:50 PM