Provisioning process in App service web app. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi team,

As part of the provisioning process, my understanding is that when an instance of a web app is created by App Fabric, it downloads the package from Azure repository and install it and update the load balancer so that it can start serving the user request. Quite similar to a web role. I am wondering what will happen if the package installation fails.

What if App Fabric detects that instance has been corrupted, it provisions new instance and the package installation fails. 

Regards Restless Spirit

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:37 PM

Answers

• Things actually work quite differently in App Service. Instead, of a package based model, it uses a shared file system model. i.e. all instances of a Web App are pointing to the exact same files (which are in a Storage backed file system). So when a new instance is added, there is no installation process at all. Instead, it's just being pointed to the same file system as the other instances. Also, as a result, when you publish changes, all instances get them at once.

David

Saturday, January 21, 2017 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hello Restless Spirit,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums.

We are checking on the query and will get back to you soon on this.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Regards,
    Bhanu Prakash

Friday, January 20, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Things actually work quite differently in App Service. Instead, of a package based model, it uses a shared file system model. i.e. all instances of a Web App are pointing to the exact same files (which are in a Storage backed file system). So when a new instance is added, there is no installation process at all. Instead, it's just being pointed to the same file system as the other instances. Also, as a result, when you publish changes, all instances get them at once.

David

Saturday, January 21, 2017 4:37 PM