Moving Projects & Solutions RRS feed

• Question

• User1968711944 posted

I have recently started building some Umbraco Solutions.

I notice that I come across quite a few issues when I start moving projects about. When I build and try to publish/ run solutions, certain paths cannot be found etc,

Should you be able to move your project files (e.g. move them to USB for backup or to work on on the move)?

Is there a set of protocols or guidelines to be followed when moving projects about?

Any input or a guide would be great.

This isn't a problem that I have had whilst developing simple web pages. Only when using umbraco or bigger MVC apps.

Kind regards.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:00 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

and copy all of solution from USB to Desktop and then open it in visual studio, i should have no issues?

So long as the file structure and locations are identical to the original solution. Open a .sln file and have a look at its contents. You should soon get the drift.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:19 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

The solution files contain paths to project files which are included in the solution. If you make sure these paths are relative and the structure you use when copying the solution elsewhere is identical to the original, you shouldn't have a problem.

Personally, I use Visual Studio Online. It integrates with Visual Studio (Express, too) and provides the option of using TFS or GIT for source control and acts as a cloud-based back up. And it's free (for teams of 5 or less users). So long as you remember to check your work in, you always have the latest version available wherever you are (subject to Internet connectivity). Consequently I never have to "move projects around" or lug a laptop or a collection of USB drives anywhere.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:56 AM
  • User1968711944 posted

So if i have 

Solution

>solution files

and copy all of solution from USB to Desktop and then open it in visual studio, i should have no issues?

Thanks for the input i will take a look at VSO

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:01 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

So long as the file structure and locations are identical to the original solution. Open a .sln file and have a look at its contents. You should soon get the drift.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:19 AM