none
outllok addin not active for some users RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    We have developed an addin which is designed for outlook 2010,2013, 2016. On most of the machine it works fine, but we have a client for whom our addin is keep getting inactivated even if they activate it. its happening for some of the users.

    Now for one of the user i did it by changing the loadbehaviour to 3 in registry setting and then added to always enabled list and now it always works. but client still think its just work around but not a proper solution and i am not sure if its in our control the outlook behaviour where it just deactivate addins

    Although our outlook addin consumes  both .net apis and com objects apis as well.

    i have read it same where if outlook addin consist of both .net assemblies and com objects  then addin sometime take times to start , because it has to lad both .net framework and com object libraries . But again, i do not know How outlook decided to inactivate it. i know this can be due to slow loading addin.  But i am not sure why its happening on few machines and we do not have any control on it to decide which addin to deactivate or which to activate. 

    Is there any tool which can give provide  any tracing that why addin did not activate?

    Also, is there any way to load the addin always part from changing load behaviour and added adding addin to always enable list?

    is there any link which explains the how outlook load the addin and also explaining the root cause analysis of addin getting deactivated?

    Thanks


    Friday, February 17, 2017 8:40 PM

All replies

  • Outlook will write an entry to the Application event log that explains why it disabled an Add-in.

    See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj228679.aspx?f=255&mspperror=-2147217396#Anchor_7 for an explanation of the various performance criteria used by Outlook in deciding when to disable an Add-in.

    Friday, February 17, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Many thanks for your reply. just one more question. Does addin get deactivate due to above mentioned reason as well.  Because in my case addin first goes in inactive addin list

    Friday, February 17, 2017 11:03 PM
  • In addition to checking the performance criteria Outlook will also disable an add-in due to application errors that occur during add-in execution.
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:47 AM
  • yeah, that make sense

    i understand why an addin can go to disabled list due to above reasons

    But does above symptoms can also make addin inactive instead of disabled???

    Thanks

    Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:47 PM
  • When Outlook disables an add-in it changes the add-in's load behavior so that it does not load at Outlook startup.

    Is this what you mean by "inactive"?

    • Edited by RLWA32 Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:57 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:55 PM
  • i was in assumption that inactive and disabled are two different state of addin and thats why addin appears in different category. 

    yes, i could see the loadbehavior changed to 0 but it was appearing in inactive list instead of disabled item list

    Just trying to avoid any unnecessary action  that i need to take to handle inactive addin

    However if both require same sort of action to reduce the chance of getting it disabled or inactive then i am gonna try above remedies anyway.

    I am bit confused with delay loading CLR action actually. do i need to make a separate addin to achieve this or i can achieve this in my manage addin? Any particular example for  outlook specific would be great help 

    Thanks

    Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:24 PM
  • Add-ins that have been disabled due to performance criteria or errors appear as "disabled".  Otherwise, if an add-in is not loaded for the reasons described under the "LoadBehavior Values" section of Registry Entries for VSTO Add-ins it would appear as "inactive".

    Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:57 PM
  • Hi RLWA32,

    The link you given above is suggesting that Prefer native COM add-ins over managed add-ins since managed add-ins must incur the overhead of loading the .NET Framework during Outlook startup.

    my addin is a managed addin, but then how can i make sure to reduce or eliminate overhead of .net framework as my addin is still considered slow performing by outlook. Even i removed most of the code from events outlook still shows the same time to load addin

    I am not sure whats the threshold in this case as my addin always say it is less than 500ms, 

    Thanks

    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Perhaps there are things that your addin is doing during startup that can be deferred to a later point.

    There were a number of suggestions in Microsoft's list as well as some Performance related links at the bottom of the msdn page.  If a sure-fire solution to the issue existed I would think that Microsoft would have published it.  You'll just have to do the best you can with the resources available.

    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:08 PM