Lab/Environment Jobs "stuck" in Test Manager on a SCVMM Setup RRS feed

• Question

• Over the past weeks we've been toying with using Test Manager to manage a SCVMM cluster to power our environment and lab needs.

Setup and usage work fine, but migration-related operations seem to have issues. For example, I created a working environment with a VM, and used it without issue.  Then I wanted to store it in the Library, so I powered it down and selected the Store in Library function.  It began its work like normal, and never made any progress.

So thats problem 1, the job stays in "Preparing" and the VM in "Creation" status.  On the SCVMM side I can stop/start/use/reboot the VM w/o issue and MTM never seems to catch that status change

Larger issue is problem 2, with the job not moving I figured I'd just cancel it, so I select Cancel Task on the task that is hung and select "Cancel Task" from the prompt.  I immediately get:

TF259060: Team Foundation Server could not cancel the operation on the environment. There are no pending operations that can be cancelled. Wait for operation to start and then attempt to cancel it.

This job has been "running" for 8 days now.  There is no job on the SCVMM side, its just hung in TFS.

How do I reset?  Is there some other way to manage these jobs?  Are there any plans to offer more insight into whats going on here?

• Edited by Taylor Bird Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:16 PM
    • Moved by Lily_WuModerator Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:31 AM relate to lab management (From:Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager (MTM))
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Taylor,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:31 AM
  • Hi Taylor,

Based on your description, I think that the root cause of your 2 issues is that operations on VMs in an environment do not response in the SCVMM manager. And could you please take a look at the event viewer in the SCVMM and MTM machines to see if there is any information useful? If so, post here. In addition, do you install SCVMM and MTM, TFS on the same machine? Please also make sure there are no network traffic issues between these machines.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:09 AM
  • Vicky, thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that SCVMM is the issue. (But I will dig in again to be sure)

On operations that succeed, you can see the jobs and status in SCVMM and on the machines themsevles.  Then on these sticking jobs, there is nothing on SCVMM.  Additionally, in SCVMM I can stop/start/interact with the VMs and they respond perfectly, but MTM doesnt seem to acknowledge any of those changes.

Furthermore, even if I find an error ... how do I get this job to disappear from MTM?

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:45 AM
  • we have/had the same issues. Please look at the rangers guide at http://vsarlabman.codeplex.com/

There are plenty of do's and don'ts. including settings for OS.

We have some jobs in SCVMM, that are stuck for a year now.

MTM is pretty lousy of updating the status, so you need to refresh manually on the refresh button. Have you updated to latest servicepack for OS, TFS and Visual studio?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:08 AM