connecting to SQL 2012 Server using windows pocket pc SDK 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am programming Intermec scanners using windows mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK with, .net framework 3.5, using VB.net. The operating system on the scanners is OS 5.2 Windows embedded handheld classic only Visual Studio 2008 and lower support this operating system. I originally programmed the scanner’s to connect to Microsoft SQL 2000 we change to Microsoft SQL 2012 and I cannot connect using SQL tables any longer. The program that I created for the scanners worked until we changed from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2012. Before the server change I connected to the SQL Server using Microsoft SQL Server as a data source / data provider : .net framework data provider for SQL. Server now after the server update when I try to connect I get “only support server up to 2005”.  I do have a reference to system.data  OLE DB is  in that reference but does not show up in IntelliSense. My next possible solution to fix this problem was to use OLE DB or ODBC to connect to the SQL server. I can connect to the tables using OLE DB or ODBC and the test is successful. The problem is that I get that type errors not defined for both OLE DB and ODBC. I posted on ADO.net I got this response “Thanks for sharing it with us, and I downloaded it while I find it is a windows mobile application, currently I do not install this SDK, so what I did is to create a windows form application and add the dataset1 item in your project, wow, it could compile successfully. So I am wondering if this application type is incompatible with this item, I would suggest you to confirm it on the windows mobile forum:” project:  https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=650083774872219D%21105

The error I think happens when Visual Studio creates the table adapter. It happens before I compile the project. I get 102 errors examples:

In error list:

Type System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter is not define

Type System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection is not define

Type System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand is not define

example in the code:

Private WithEvents _adapter As Global.System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter        

Private _connection As Global.System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection       

Private _commandCollection() As Global.System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand

Best regards,

Marvin

Friday, August 1, 2014 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I doubt SQL Server 2012 supports OLEDB with Windows Mobile/CE.  Also give a try with SQL Server 2012 forums

AFAIK, Win CE/Mobile can supports SQL Server 2005 and 2008  for OLEDB. I used those two databases to connect from Win CE device. 

The other alternative is creating middle layer service to connect to database.

-Malleswar

Friday, August 1, 2014 5:08 PM