wmf files in design RRS feed

• General discussion

• Annie I was trying to import wmf files in the new design
    I first couldn t do it than I opened first the files in paint and copying them and paste in design seems to work well

I also find the new design much better for tracing images what I did with the files and then ungroup them
    greetings
    Friday, March 7, 2008 8:10 PM

All replies

• Opening .wmf files in Paint will only open them as bitmap files. To open them in vector format you'd need to open them in Illustrator or other vector program.

I thought the tracing feature worked better too.
    Annie
    Friday, March 7, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Thanks Annie
    the good old E3 did it very well saved it as an xpr and from xpr to design file
    they should include the program in the studio
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Holy mackrel. That's so frustrating - to convert from Microsoft's core Windows vector graphics format to another Microsoft vector format... you have to buy an Adobe product? That's just wrong. Microsoft is missing a trick here, because once a person spends out to get the Adobe product, they might just like it better and stick with it. Nice one, Microsoft.
    Tim Long
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:00 PM
  • I agree, I really want this feature as well. I have tons of clipart CD's with vector WMF and cannot use in Design.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:39 AM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/expression/expression-design/CreatureHouse.aspx?key=intro

I use this program for converting wmf files I don t know if it is always helping but mostly it works fine sometimes I can directly copy out of it in design
    it is still available for free you just have to register

sometimes I can immediately copy from E3 into design sometimes I first have to save the file as xpr and open it design
    I use design1

• Edited by germaine1 Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:33 PM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Nice one G!

It is a good observation for sure.

I suppose the thread touches on: how to decompose a WMF into editable parts.

I think some WMFs can be editable and some are not.  Harvard Graphics whatever did pretty well with decomposing WMFs and other stuff but that is an old, old, old program now and I seem to recall that bouncing stuff through PowerPoint used to aid decomposition.

I have not tried any of these recently though but it is good to know that E3 does provide some assistance.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Meta Fly will convert or decompose WMF or EMF into PDF, PS, EPS and several other vector as well as image formats. www.meta-fly.com. There is a free Metafile viewer on the homepage to download.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Design really needs to be able to open WMF files. It is beyond ridiculous that Microsoft's first major image editing program will not open Microsoft's own image format.

I, too, have thousands of royalty-free WMFs that I use as the basis of Web graphics. Fortunately, I happen to own Adobe Illustrator and thus have a mechanism to convert the files, but because I use Expression Web and Expression Design comes in the package, it would be nice to use Design for something.

Besides, Illustrator is big and slow, so it's a time-consuming process to use it.
    Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I agree with you, Will. I haven't given up home that we'll see WMF import eventually.
    Annie
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Independently, I learned that the Microsoft Office Picture Manager in Office 2007+ can export WMF files in various formats. I did not even know the Office Picture Manager existed. So I gave it a try and sure enough, it will export to the Web formats I need.

However, the quality is low. The rasterization is not as good as that delivered by Illustrator and not good enough for my purposes.
    Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:35 PM