Blend 4 RC UI Font clarity RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed Blend 4 RC and I'm seeing VERY blocky ui text (text on the toolbars and tabs within the Blend UI, not on projects created with blend.)

I'm running on XP sp3 with the Windows Classic Theme.

Has anyone else experienced this with Blend 4. (Blend 3 is fine)

www.datadaysolutions.com
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

It sounds like your issues is the same as http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/5c158f46-abca-44c7-ba2e-6a85fed5bc64

We are currently investigating.

Thanks,
    Unni

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Also, we would be grateful if you could help us with the following information:

a)      Create a new WPF application

b)      Draw a TextBlox

c)       Build and run the application – does the text look ok?

d)      In the property grid, search for TextFormattingMode and change that to “Display”

e)      Build and run the application – does the text have the problem you are reporting?

(If the test above passes, we would be grateful if you could repeat this test using “Segoe UI” as the font).

Thanks,
    Unni

Monday, April 19, 2010 6:47 PM
  • I have the same issue - the font is almost unreadable on the blend 4 RC UI. I'm also using Windows XP.

In the code editor I notice a similar effect when consolas (the default) font is chosen; Good old Courier New shows just fine though.

I am performing the steps suggested by Unni:

in step c) the application looks ok (albeit a bit fuzzy). The font that was chosen as default font was Tahoma (I didn't change the default).

in step d) the application looks even better - the way I would expect it to look, and certainly better than the Blend UI font looks

I uploaded a screenshot from a part that shows both the Blend UI and the test application (displaying a string in both modes) as http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6807/blend4issue.png . Notice the word "ScrollViewer". However it is clear that the blend UI is using a different font than the default font in the WPF application: See the bottom of the capital S for a difference.

So the question is: what font is used in Blend 4 (on windows XP)?

edit: I didn't read the request fully and missed the mentioning of Segoe UI at first - see my second reply - there is no Segoe UI font existing on my machine

• Edited by Yoco Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:43 PM the Segoe UI issue
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I performed the test as requested and reported the results in my message above.

I didn't see the Segoe UI part of the request yet, and when trying to do that I think it became clear what is causing the issue: Segoe UI is a font that is not installed on my system at all (at least it doesn't show up in the font popup when I try to change the font for the textboxes) ... There is Segoe Condensed and Segoe Marker, but not Segoe UI... wasn't Segoe UI a font that was only introduced with Vista, so not available by default on windows XP?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segoe suggests that indeed Segoe UI is installed with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Office 2007, so a Windows XP system without office 2007 may indeed be without it.

Another edit:   After installing Segoe UI on my machine (I hope just copying it to the windows fonts directory was sufficient) and using that for the WPF application, the "Display" mode text becomes identical to Blend 4 UI font - which means: hard to read (the "ideal" mode is also hard to read, it is too fuzzy; the problem is with the choice of Segoe UI as font, it seems, Tahoma was far clearer)

And one more edit : http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7189/blend4issue2.png shows the test application with both Segoe UI and the default font, and showing both modes (with Blend 4 RC in the background)

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I now reproduced the same issue on another, similar computer, with one difference: that computer was scheduled to be upgraded to Office 2007 anyway. Before the upgrade the same problem showed. After installing Office 2007 the problem is gone .

So, installing Office 2007 makes the problem go away. I assume the core solution is far simpler than that: include the Segoe UI fonts in the Blend 4 installer, and install those on computers that don't have it installed yet.

It seems the test I did yesterday evening with installing Segoe UI on the first computer failed, most likely because the font I installed wasn't the correct one. The file size and file name  of the font I installed there was different than the fonts that the Office 2007 installer installed.

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:30 AM
  • This is a problem that we have addressed for the next release of Blend 4.

Thanks to all for your feedback!

Unni

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:21 PM