C++ Applications for ARM based devices

Question

• One of the biggest questions for me related to C++WinRT is how the ARM support will achieved. With C# and HTML/Javascript I don't have to care about this because they are managed runtimes. C++ applications run native on the hardware hence would need a recompilation (?).

During the Build presentation, Steven Sinofsky did not clarify what needs to be done to get my C++ application running on both x86 and ARM.

Have their any news on how we can run our applications on ARM?

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:07 AM

All replies

• I don't think MS has really said much about ARM.  However, I would assume it will behave much like when you develop for Windows CE.  You simply add new project configurations to target each supported CPU (With Win8, I suppose that would be x86, x64 and ARM).  You then build your executable for each platform. 

I suppose they could provide a fat-binary format -- it really wouldn't be very hard to implement, I suspect patent issues would be the bigger problem.

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:58 PM
  • "And you have your choice of world-class development tools and languages. JavaScript, C#, VB, C++, C, HTML, CSS, XAML, all for X86-64 and ARM.

This is an extremely important point: If you go and build your Metro style app in JavaScript and HTML, in C# or in XAML, that app will just run when there's ARM hardware available. So, you don’t have to worry about that. Just write your application in HTML5, JavaScript and C# and XAML and your application runs across all the hardware that Windows 8 supports. (Applause.)

And if you want to write native code, we're going to help you do that as well and make it so that you can cross-compile into the other platforms as well. So, full platform support with these Metro style applications. "

STEVEN SINOFSKY:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/ssinofsky/2011/09-13BUILD.mspx?rss_fdn=Custom

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:57 PM