Visual Studio Stop Working when Publish the LS application with Code Signing Certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody

I am trying to publish my lightswitch application (3-tier desktop) to Azure Cloud (Web Role) with a valid Code Signing Certificate. In the publish wizard after verifying all required information when I click on publish my Visual Studio stopped working and closed automatically.

But without the certificate I can successfully published the application in Azure.

Note: I am also using valid SSL Certificate for secure connection.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:46 AM

Answers

• Hi babloo

First I’m not sure whether you use the right code-signing certificate type for your LightSwitch application,  perhaps Justin Anderson’s reply is also available for you,

Quoted from Justin Anderson’s reply:

The certificate for the "Specify a Certificate" page is used for signed the Silverlight XAP file. This one is not required. The certificate would be a code signing certificate. Signing the Silverlight XAP is especially useful for ensuring your users that the Desktop application is authentic and to allow automatic updates of the application when the user restarts it. See  John Papa's blog post on more details(http://www.johnpapa.net/digitally-signing-a-xap-silverlight/)

hope it helps,

Regards

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 2, 2013 1:16 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Can you please try following the instructions in this blog post to capture a VS stack trace for the crash that's occurring when you attempt to publish:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mthalman/archive/2013/08/16/how-to-get-a-stack-trace-in-lightswitch.aspx

Also, does the same issue occur if you publish to a different topology?  (Can you try doing an IIS Package publish and see if it still occurs?)

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:04 AM

All replies

• Anybody? Specially Microsoft Engineer

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Hi babloo

First I’m not sure whether you use the right code-signing certificate type for your LightSwitch application,  perhaps Justin Anderson’s reply is also available for you,

Quoted from Justin Anderson’s reply:

The certificate for the "Specify a Certificate" page is used for signed the Silverlight XAP file. This one is not required. The certificate would be a code signing certificate. Signing the Silverlight XAP is especially useful for ensuring your users that the Desktop application is authentic and to allow automatic updates of the application when the user restarts it. See  John Papa's blog post on more details(http://www.johnpapa.net/digitally-signing-a-xap-silverlight/)

hope it helps,

Regards

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:56 AM
  • HI Angie

Thank you for your reply. I completely agree with your comment.

I brought the certificate from COMODO. So as per COMODO the certificate is compatible to sign Silverlight XAP file. To confirm my self I have used the certificate from my another system. And its working fine. But from my development machine its not working. In my development machine I have up to update 3 installed and in the other one I have installed up to update 1.

If possible can you please let me know what may be the issue.

Thanks

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi babloo

According to your description above, you could have a try uninstall Visual Studio 2012 update, keep visual studio 2012 update 1,

You can find the update by visiting the Programs control panel category, and choosing View installed updates under the Programs and Features subcategory,

I think this is more about certificate issue, you could also consult COMODO, perhaps they can give more precise troubleshooting for this issue,

Regards

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Signing the XAP is required for 3-Tier-Desktop applications to be automatically updated.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:00 AM
  • Can you please try following the instructions in this blog post to capture a VS stack trace for the crash that's occurring when you attempt to publish:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mthalman/archive/2013/08/16/how-to-get-a-stack-trace-in-lightswitch.aspx

Also, does the same issue occur if you publish to a different topology?  (Can you try doing an IIS Package publish and see if it still occurs?)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:04 AM
  • Hi babloo

I have closed this thread temporarily, if you still have any problem, please give your response, thanks!

Best regards

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:05 AM