none
Are school / work accounts free?

Question

• We have been using personal MS accounts at our company since before there was a distinction between personal and school / work accounts.

Someone in our company recently started a subscription to try Power BI and used a company email address. (I believe this created an Azure AD domain for our company??). Someone else had a trial O365 subscription using a company email address.

Now no one can create new Microsoft personal accounts ending  with *.ourcompany.com.

message: You can't signup here with a work or school email address.

No warning occurred while signing up for Power BI to indicate this significant change.

Are school and work accounts free? Or are we now being asked to pay for future MS (live) accounts with  *.ourcompany.com?

We are not using any of the subscription services with these email accounts, except the trials I mentioned.

Is there a way to remove the Azure AD domain for our company?

I am now aware of this: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/09/15/microsoft-account-overlap-solution.aspx

Thank you

Marcel

Friday, April 28, 2017 4:15 PM

Answers

• Are school and work accounts free? Or are we now being asked to pay for future MS (live) accounts with  *.ourcompany.com?
    What makes you think that, you have to pay in future for using Microsoft Accounts?

You can contact our subscription management team to assist you on this by creating a support request (free of cost).
    Here is the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/azure/azure-supportability/how-to-create-azure-support-request to create support case.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:29 PM
  • To use a work or school account, you need to create an Azure AD Tenant, for which you need a subscription and an Azure AD basic tennant, neither of these cost money and can be done for free. However, to create the subscription you either need a credit card (for pay as you go), or create one attached to your enterprise agreement or similar to get invoice billing. If  you only ever use AAD to get your work accounts, there will be no cost.

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:31 PM

All replies

• Are school and work accounts free? Or are we now being asked to pay for future MS (live) accounts with  *.ourcompany.com?
    What makes you think that, you have to pay in future for using Microsoft Accounts?

You can contact our subscription management team to assist you on this by creating a support request (free of cost).
    Here is the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/azure/azure-supportability/how-to-create-azure-support-request to create support case.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Hi Sadiqh,

Thank you for your response.

To sign up for a school or work account, don't we have to have a subscription - which costs $$? I am not familiar - is it just one subscription for the whole *.ourcompany.com AD domain?

The other question was - did signing up for Power BI or O365 cause the behavior I described above, including the setting up of an Azure AD domain and causing the "sign-up block" to take effect?

Thank you for the support link - we are evaluating our next step.

Marcel

Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:06 PM
  • To use a work or school account, you need to create an Azure AD Tenant, for which you need a subscription and an Azure AD basic tennant, neither of these cost money and can be done for free. However, to create the subscription you either need a credit card (for pay as you go), or create one attached to your enterprise agreement or similar to get invoice billing. If  you only ever use AAD to get your work accounts, there will be no cost.

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:31 PM
  • Sam and Sadiqh, Thank you for the clarifications. These answered my questions.

Marcel

Monday, May 01, 2017 12:55 AM