none
BinScope :GSFriendlyInitCheck failure RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello All,

I am running binscope on one of my DLL and i get the only one error i.e 

• D:\TOT\sw\dev\T4\windows\disk\fre\Windows\x64\cht4_nd.dll - GSFriendlyInitCheck 

I wanted to know what this error means ? how do we come to know the reason of failure ? i am not getting any information in the binscope output also...It Just says D:\TOT\sw\dev\T4\windows\disk\fre\Windows\x64\cht4_nd.dll - GSFriendlyInitCheck .

Can some one help me in understanding this ?

regards,

Jagadish

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:30 AM

All replies

• Can you check and see if /noentry or /entry linker option is enabled? One of the first things performed when loading an executable image is initialization of the /GS security cookie with a unique unpredictable value. This functionality can be changed by overriding initialization entry points. In that case, it becomes the developer's explicit responsibility to call the cookie initialization routine. Any functions called before the cookie initialization routine will have the default security cookie value in their stacks, which is presumably known by attackers. Exploiting buffer overruns in those functions is not much more difficult than when /GS protection is completely lacking.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:18 AM