none
weird positioning on another computer RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

ok so after going through many books and watching many tutorials i have fixed many issues with my first website and republished a few pages although i still seem to be having issues. While reviewing my site on the computer I created it on, it looks great, but when i checked on a much larger computer, the layout is still not doing what I want it to...Can someone please help? Here is the website (only 3 pages are active at the moment)...

www.amazingstoneworks.com

also, i need to make a slideshow, can i do it in expression design or should i use something else?

Thanks!

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:17 PM

Answers

• You still have some of the same problems that you did before. You are doing things that I know are not in any tutorial or book.

<div id="masthead" style="width: 1280px">
    		<h2 style="width: 1285px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Your Imagination is Our Only Limitation</h2>

You absolutely cannot position stuff on the screen using the space bar like that and no tutorial ever said that you could. In IE, view your home page. Now, click View, Text Size, Largest. Bam! The site breaks. Your tag line splits onto 2 lines. The reason for that is that each of those space is an actual character that is sized the same as the text that you can see. So each space gets larger too, not just the text that you can see.

This is connected to the problem you mentioned above. You are treating the site as though it were print, but it's not. It will only work on your monitor at your settings.

Also, look at that code. You have a masthead set to 1280px wide and you insert an <h2> that's set to 1285px wide. Do you not see a problem with that math? Ten pounds of header in a 5 pound sack. That problem was mentioned in your last post about this; you didn't fix it.

And this... 

<div id="main_container2" style="width: 1260px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto">
    	<div id="masthead1" style="width: 1280px">
    	</div>

<div id="main_container1" style="width: 1260px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto">

<div id="main_container0" style="width: 1260px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto">
    	<div id="header0" style="height: 3px">
    	<div id="masthead0" style="width: 1280px; height: -2px;">

You're putting a 1280px wide masthead1 inside a 1260px wide container2. How?  

You have three different mastheads, one of which has a height of minus 2px and is wider than the container that it's in! That is impossible and makes no sense; it would have to be inside-out. And no book ever told you to do that. What is the use of a header that's only 3px high?

The fact that you are sprinkling so many masthead and header and container divs around shows that you are still floundering, without an idea of what these things do.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you are still using the old FP Buttons to make simple menus. Not only have you used them for the main menu, you've used them for the footer menu too. Why? The FP buttons use javascript to work. If someone has javascript turned off, those buttons won't work and the visitor can't navigate your site. That's why people made plain links in the footer--as a backup in that case. But you have done them in FP buttons too, so they won't work either! Your visitor is dead in the water in that case. You don't seem to know why you are doing things.

You have a simple layout (although it's far too wide, IMHO--make it 980px like most modern sites on the web)--masthead, menu, two columns, footer. Why don't you use one of the EW templates and just change the colors and the widths? You're floundering around with no idea how to do the work and not using the completely web-standard layouts that are being handed to you on a silver platter.

It's not worth fixing all this mess. Start over. Clean slate. But first, look around the web. See what works and what doesn't; see how sites use their navigation; see how wide they are; pay attention to what is already on the web. Your site violates a lot of web conventions.

And, consider that web design and advertsing may not be your skill set. Hire someone. Your business could depend on it. You need someone who knows how to do both really well.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"

• Edited by Bill Pearson Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by kyla3472 Monday, October 10, 2011 2:49 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:17 PM

All replies

• You have a flexible width layout so it will look different on smaller and wider monitors than your own. You can fix the width of it to get over this. The most common monitor resolution at the moment is 1024*768, so a width of 980px is usual. Put a div around all the current content, set it's width and set the style of the left and right hand margins to 'auto'.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:09 PM
  • You still have some of the same problems that you did before. You are doing things that I know are not in any tutorial or book.

<div id="masthead" style="width: 1280px">
    		<h2 style="width: 1285px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Your Imagination is Our Only Limitation</h2>

You absolutely cannot position stuff on the screen using the space bar like that and no tutorial ever said that you could. In IE, view your home page. Now, click View, Text Size, Largest. Bam! The site breaks. Your tag line splits onto 2 lines. The reason for that is that each of those space is an actual character that is sized the same as the text that you can see. So each space gets larger too, not just the text that you can see.

This is connected to the problem you mentioned above. You are treating the site as though it were print, but it's not. It will only work on your monitor at your settings.

Also, look at that code. You have a masthead set to 1280px wide and you insert an <h2> that's set to 1285px wide. Do you not see a problem with that math? Ten pounds of header in a 5 pound sack. That problem was mentioned in your last post about this; you didn't fix it.

And this... 

<div id="main_container2" style="width: 1260px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto">
    	<div id="masthead1" style="width: 1280px">
    	</div>

<div id="main_container1" style="width: 1260px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto">

<div id="main_container0" style="width: 1260px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto">
    	<div id="header0" style="height: 3px">
    	<div id="masthead0" style="width: 1280px; height: -2px;">

You're putting a 1280px wide masthead1 inside a 1260px wide container2. How?  

You have three different mastheads, one of which has a height of minus 2px and is wider than the container that it's in! That is impossible and makes no sense; it would have to be inside-out. And no book ever told you to do that. What is the use of a header that's only 3px high?

The fact that you are sprinkling so many masthead and header and container divs around shows that you are still floundering, without an idea of what these things do.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you are still using the old FP Buttons to make simple menus. Not only have you used them for the main menu, you've used them for the footer menu too. Why? The FP buttons use javascript to work. If someone has javascript turned off, those buttons won't work and the visitor can't navigate your site. That's why people made plain links in the footer--as a backup in that case. But you have done them in FP buttons too, so they won't work either! Your visitor is dead in the water in that case. You don't seem to know why you are doing things.

You have a simple layout (although it's far too wide, IMHO--make it 980px like most modern sites on the web)--masthead, menu, two columns, footer. Why don't you use one of the EW templates and just change the colors and the widths? You're floundering around with no idea how to do the work and not using the completely web-standard layouts that are being handed to you on a silver platter.

It's not worth fixing all this mess. Start over. Clean slate. But first, look around the web. See what works and what doesn't; see how sites use their navigation; see how wide they are; pay attention to what is already on the web. Your site violates a lot of web conventions.

And, consider that web design and advertsing may not be your skill set. Hire someone. Your business could depend on it. You need someone who knows how to do both really well.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"

• Edited by Bill Pearson Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by kyla3472 Monday, October 10, 2011 2:49 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Thank you So much, ill definitely do that and see how it turns out. Thanks again!
    • Marked as answer by kyla3472 Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by kyla3472 Monday, October 10, 2011 2:50 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Kyla,

It's polite to mark the answer(s) that helped you, not your own!

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Sorry for the late response, I was up in Salem Mass. for a long weekend....

i didnt mean to mark my own as the answer, sorry. I did actually realize that they were all different sizes and fixed that and am working on the rest. After I did the homepage I learned everything which is stupid because the homepage is my dwt. I'm still making mistakes so it's nowhere near perfect but I am learning from them. I know I must seem really stupid that I can't get this down great but I thank you all for all the help.....

.....I am still wondering what would be the best way to build a slideshow though. I have downloaded a few different programs but they all have watermarks and logos, would expression design be a way to do this?

Thanks again everyone

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:57 PM
  • A slideshow is a different question, so you should start a new thread.  And before you do, search the forum.  It's been discussed many times, and you may fine your answer.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:01 PM
  • ive searched through but many of the recommendations I have tried all have the watermark and logos, Ill start a new thread, thanks :)
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:09 PM
  • They don't all have logos and watermarks unless you are using the free versions.  Pay for one.  Or follow samples / instructions on coding your own basic one using CSS - but that's not an EW question, and may not be as fancy as you want.

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:18 PM
  • i didnt mean to mark my own as the answer, sorry. I did actually realize that they were all different sizes and fixed that and am working on the rest. After I did the homepage I learned everything which is stupid because the homepage is my dwt. I'm still making mistakes so it's nowhere near perfect but I am learning from them. I know I must seem really stupid that I can't get this down great but I thank you all for all the help.....

Don't worry about it, learning how CSS works takes time and the only way to really "get it" is by working with CSS and trying out new things. FWIW, even experts make mistakes and they made plenty along the way to "expert" status. I know I still make mistakes, especially when trying CSS 3 properties.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:00 PM