W8 pad vs pc. Managing the system with SCCM, policies, direct access

Question

• Hi. In times like these pads are like da thing. It's what every person trying to look cool at meatings gotta have. Now, for us poor fellas manageing these things pads can be really easy, or a pain.

What I'm wondering about is how will the W8 on a pad differ from a PC? Is managing the OS on a pad the same. Policies, direct access, management with sccm, and so on.

In short, is a W8 pad just as managable as an W8 laptop? Or is the pad version light weight when it comes to system features?

At this point there are those who want to buy truck loads of iPads, but if W8 on pad is much like an ordinary laptop when it comes to managing the system, I'm considdering holding back on those orders.

---

I vision having an x86 pad in an dock, conected with an keyboard, mouse, two or three monitors etc. I use the desktop user interface to work on my standard windoes applications. I suddenly discover I have to run for a meating, and just picks up the pad. At the same the metrointerface kick in. On the train, airplane, etc. I use the metro interface to controll what ever I'm doing with my fingers.

I then get to the meating room, places the pad in an dock, and the system changes (or I choose to) back to the std interface/gui and the image is shown on the projector.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:28 PM

Answers

• Hey Serpentbane,

In Windows Developer Preview the same features are installed when you install on a 32-bit or 64-bit tablet, desktop, laptop, etc. system.  Details regarding ARM based Windows devices haven't been released yet, but you can find a wealth of information regarding the pre-beta product in the Building Windows 8 blog.

Steven
    Monday, November 21, 2011 7:24 PM

All replies