PixelShader / ShaderEffects for 3D? RRS feed

• Question

• All the shader examples I've found for WPF are for 2D.  Are there any 3D shaders out there?  I'm desperately seeking documentation or examples of this.  
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• I assume you're asking about programming shaders directly on 3D objects as they're rendering like you would in DirectX (for per-pixel lighting, etc).  The ShaderEffects that we've shipped allow you to do 2D post-processing on arbitrary visual content in your application, including 3D scenes by placing on Effect above a Visual3D for example, but we haven't opened up APIs to give you programmable vertex- or pixel-shaders for 3D rendering.  There's no support for that in the platform at this time, but it's a reasonably common request and 3D is an area we'll be looking into expanding more for future releases. 

• Proposed as answer by Brendan Clark - MSFT Monday, January 12, 2009 11:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by kbeal2k Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:43 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:35 PM

All replies

• I assume you're asking about programming shaders directly on 3D objects as they're rendering like you would in DirectX (for per-pixel lighting, etc).  The ShaderEffects that we've shipped allow you to do 2D post-processing on arbitrary visual content in your application, including 3D scenes by placing on Effect above a Visual3D for example, but we haven't opened up APIs to give you programmable vertex- or pixel-shaders for 3D rendering.  There's no support for that in the platform at this time, but it's a reasonably common request and 3D is an area we'll be looking into expanding more for future releases. 

• Proposed as answer by Brendan Clark - MSFT Monday, January 12, 2009 11:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by kbeal2k Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:43 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:35 PM
  • is 2016 now, how is the support going?

F# |> I ♥

Saturday, June 25, 2016 12:08 AM