none
april ctp open xml sdk exception - AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers RRS feed

• Question

• hello

i have uploaded the april open xml sdk assembly as part of a web app which does stuff with word 2007.

when i try to run methods on the assembly, i am receiving a "System.Security.SecurityException: That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers" exception.

my web host will be unwilling to change their security to full trust i suspect to accommodate for this. i am thinking that the problem here is that the assembly has not been signed with the AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers attribute. therefore my code running on the webhost (which is probably running on medium trust) has not got sufficient privileges to access the assembly.

is there any chance somebody could email me a new assembly which includes this attribute? i am desparate for it for a pending demonstration i am up against a tight deadline.

many thanks
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:38 AM

All replies

• Your analyse is correct. The assembly was not signed with APTCA. We need to go through a separate security review to sign it with APTCA. It will be helpful if you could help us understand your scenario.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:16 AM
  • my scenario is like this...

my visual studio web application project references your assembly. this is because i want users to be able to generate word docs on the fly from my website.

i am uploading my web application project to a shared web host. i.e. the server is running multiple websites. this is the rule rather than the exception, because most folks can't afford to pay for their own server. In this scenario, Microsoft recommends that the web hosting company operates a medium trust security policy to prevent malicious activity.

this page here provides a full rundown of medium trust and why it is recommended for a shared hosting environment.

because of this medium trust, i am therefore not allowed to access your assembly, unless it is tagged with the AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers attribute.

FWIW i recommend you should consider applying this attribute, otherwise any web apps running in shared hosting environments won't be able to use this SDK.

i hope this helps, and i would be grateful for an update whenever a decision has been made.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:56 PM
  • so far i have waited 6 weeks and i didnt even get a courtesy response, despite my making the effort to answer your question fully.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 4:31 AM
  • We just updated version 1 of the SDK (new updated download) to accomodate this scenario. Please try the latest version.  

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:48 AM