Adaptive Rendering causing problems? RRS feed

• Question

• User1696511887 posted

We've been receiving random errors from our website since we launched ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object" or "Invalid postback or callback argument" usually).  I've gone through the logs and repeatedly replayed sessions that cause the errors and have been unable to reproduce.  I wrote it off as hackers trying to inject stuff into the viewstate.

But yesterday a customer called customer service because she was having problems with the website.  I went through the logs and replayed her session step by step with IE 6 and Firefox and was unable to reproduce the problem.  Then I notice that her user agent tends to pop up in the error logs.  Below is a list of the most common user agents appearing in the logs.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20020924 AOL/7.0
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.9.3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/416.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/416.12
    Opera/9.10 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; YComp 5.0.2.6; SV1; MSN 9.0;MSN 9.1; MSNbMSNI; MSNmen-us; MSNcIA)

After replaying sessions from these agents in a number of different browsers, and having replayed the customers session without error, I now believe it is an adaptive rendering problem.  Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac to test my theory.  Has anyone else seen this issue pop-up?  How did you get around it?

I thought I saw an article a while ago about it possibly having to do with Html32TextWriter vs. HtmlTextWriter, but I can't find the resource anymore.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:33 AM

Answers