none
.NET 4.0 Framework OPK fails to import RRS feed

• Question

• We received the .NET Framework 4 from the Microsoft ECE website.  I opened up Image Configuration Editor and select File | Import | Import Packages but I get an error dialog with the following message:

There is an error parsing C:\WES7\October ECE\2010-10 WES7 Update - .NET Framework 4.0 (X16-93830)\NETFX4ENUOPK.cab

We redownloaded the file to make sure that we hadn't corrupted the file on our end.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any solution?

Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:36 PM

All replies

• Are you shure this is for WE7?

If it is for WES 7, why is this not available from WEDU?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:03 AM
  • I'm with the same problem.

The Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7 EMB OPK .NET 4.0 Framework from the Microsoft ECE website can't be imported.

Monday, November 15, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Can someone from Microsoft please indicate how we should get this problem resolved?  Is there someone we should contact in the ECE group?
    Monday, November 15, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Investigation by the ECE and the embedded team into this has been completed and a new update .img is being created. The expected ETA is between mid-late December. We apologize for the confusion but incorrect bits were mapped to the Windows Embedded Standard 7 product on the ECE site.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for your help Lynda!  I'll be checking the ECE website to download the update.  Can you confirm whether the procedure that I described above is the correct method of including this .NET 4 Framework?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:51 PM
  • The correct .NET files that can be used with the .NET 4 application templates will be self-extracting EXEs that get applied directly to the runtime, not as an embedded package that gest imported to the DS. The application templates can be installed in the DS that ensure the correct dependencies for supporting .NET 4 can be included in a runtime image created from the DS.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I'm a bit confused.  If this update can't be applied to the Distribution Share and automatically included in WES7 images then how is this different than the standard .NET 4 Framework installer which is already publicly available (i.e. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e5ad0459-cbcc-4b4f-97b6-fb17111cf544 )?
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:02 PM
  • The installers are the same. Embedded OEM's are only licensed to get bits to redistribute on the runtime images they create from the ECE site, where they accept the redistributable terms asociated with embedded. We have to make the features available on the ECE site and associate them with those redist terms. Embedded OEMs are not licensed to use the bits from the Download Center.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Just to close the loop- The .NET 4 Client Profile and .NET 4 Full installers are now available on ECE for Standard 7- the .img file was just updated today. The installers will apply .NET4 to a runtime image. To ensure you have all the necessary dependencies in your image you can use the app template for .NET 4 available at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/products/westandard/applications.mspx. 

Monday, December 20, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I would like to reopen this discussion based on recent findings using the .NET 4 installers available via the ECE website

The .NET 4 Framework installers require the Windows Update Standalone Installer in order to install.  The installers come packaged with .MSU files which it tries to apply to the system but fails if the Windows Update functionality is not present.  Windows Update is present on desktops but is not present in many embedded environments.

Why does the .NET 4 Framework for WES7 require the Windows Update package?  Can Microsoft provide an installer which does not require Windows Update?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:04 PM
  • If you didn't have the update from teh ECE site and were install .NET 4.0 independently, the .NET 4.0 still requires the Windows Update Standalone Installer. Is there a reason why you don't want this package in the image?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, February 11, 2011 12:26 AM
  • The reason we don't include Windows Update is because we don't want devices in the field (which may be networked) to download updates.  We prefer to have a known configuration for all of our devices.

You might be wondering, "Then why not configure Windows Update to disable automatic download and installation of updates?".  We've tried that but have observed that sysprep erases any configuration settings that we modify for Windows Update.  Do you know how to make modified Windows Update settings persist through sysprep?

Friday, February 11, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Did you create an unattaned file for sysprep?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Yes I did.  What settings should I set in the unattend file such that sysprep doesn't erase my Windows Update settings?
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Hi Sean, it sounded like you might have a lead.  What do I need to do such that Windows Update settings persist through sysprep?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:09 AM
  • Hi, Our WES7 image does not have the minimum depandancies for the .NET 4 installer, how do we therefore use .net 4?  We use a custom shell and have trimmed the image down to a minimal size; as such running a runtime installer really isn't possible for us.  It's a little unrealistic to expect an embedded platform to require the standard windows shell just because the installer for a now required component needs it (we're not in control of the software that requires .net4, we just have to make use of it).
    Digital Video Developer
    Monday, July 11, 2011 2:53 PM