none
Comparing a saved movement with actual movement RRS feed

• Question

• I need to develop an application where a user (physiotherapist) will perform a movement in front of the Kinect, I'll write the movement  data in the database and then, the patient will try to imitate this motion. The system will calculate the similarity between the movement recorded and executed.

My first idea is, during recording (each 5 second, by example), to store the position (x, y, z) of the points and then compare them in the execution time(by patient).

I know that this approach is too simple, because I imagine that, in people of different sizes, the skeleton is recognized differently, so the comparison is not reliable.

My question is about the best way and best practices to compare a saved motion with a movement executed (on the fly).

PS: Sorry by my English

Ewerton Luis de Mattos A Brazilian developer with a bad English.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:15 PM

All replies

• I think kinecttoolbox.codeplex.com might have something to help you or kinectdtw.codeplex.com might have something to help you. kinecttoolbox is a nice project that has a gesture learning machine the programmers have built.  If you can do you mind helping out with a project afterwards involving kinect with sign langauge? If you want you can send me email at: jefferycarlson@gmail.com i can work on something for you since my next project will be doing the kinect sign language one or trying again to work on it. I want to build a gesture learning machine to accomplish similar to your above except for sign language. For example, someone records the sign language gesture one time initially and then the end-user come along and signs and that gesture is picked up.  

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Yes Thinkler, i think we can share our knowledge about Kinect development. During my coding time i will share my achievements :)

One question: The machine learn you mention needs some repetitions to "learn" the movement? If yes, this aproach dont work for me, because my goal is: "Calculate the similarity os an actual movement with a recorded movement". So the recorded movement is unique.

Ewerton Luis de Mattos A Brazilian developer with a bad English.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Yes, a learning machine means it would not be fixed and you can add multiple versions of you moving your leg if you wish or other movement while still being unique. The reason for this is in-case someone does a fast version of a sign and it does not get detected so i need a fast person to do the sign.  I will have to add sign language signs probably a few times from about 2-3 different people not including me to make sure the computer gets the comparsion right to speak out the word correctly from the sign.  My approach does not need reptitions just 3-4 initial recordings of the movement and done for my plan but it would be time consuming for me since i will have to go through a bunch of words and probably have the community contribute sign language signs to a database for me.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:24 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:22 PM