VS2012 -MVC4 Intranet App publish using File System RRS feed

• Question

• User-1228885670 posted

Hi, I am pretty new to publish using VS2012, have done in the past only for web form based applications.

My Environment: VS2012, .NET 4.0, MVC4 Intranet app with connection to SQL 2008 in web.config(remote server).

I am trying to publish MVC4 intranet app using VS2012 to a remote server Win2008 within our Network.

And the remote server has IIS7.0, Using IIS7.0 on the server : I have created an application on IIS (remote server) that points to the physical location of my project (In my case: c://inetpub/wwwroot/Intranetapp. App pool pointing to v4.0-Integrated mode.

Problem:

For security reasons, I cant deploy web platform installer on the remote server and unable to publish the application from my local machine using VS2012-web deploy option.

Resolution: Please suggest if i can publish my MVC4 app using 'File System' option in VS2012?

If so can someone please send me the links or notes on the steps?

And how to access the url of the app once published using 'File System'.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Monday, June 23, 2014 10:34 AM

Answers

• User-1228885670 posted

Thanks Angie for the reply.

Apologize if my question was not clear enough.

But i found answer for my question.

In Visual Studio 2012 there is an option called 'FileSystem', along with other options: web deploy, web deploy package, FTP, FPSE while publishing the project.

When you select 'File System' , we need to make sure the path where the project is published is the same as the physical path of the application/website under IIS manager.

On the remote server the App pool has to be v4.0 integrated mode, in my case.

And windows authenticated since my app is Intranet app, thats all.

Since web deploy method of publish dint work i had to choose this one.

Any questions let me know.

PS: I am not sure how to close this post in the forums. can some one tell me.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:11 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi cmynampati,

I am trying to publish MVC4 intranet app using VS2012 to a remote server Win2008 within our Network.

In case of local machine, you can easily store it on a local drive, but if you want to deploy it on a remote server, you should have a web site, you would need a FTP/FrontPage account, IP address of web server/FTP server etc.

You can connect remote server by FTPing web site using FTP account and publish the web site content.

Deploy web application on remote server

http://www.iis.net/learn/publish/using-the-ftp-service/adding-ftp-publishing-to-a-web-site-in-iis-7

Hope it helps.

Regards

Angie

Monday, June 23, 2014 11:22 PM
  • User-1228885670 posted

Thanks Angie for the reply.

Apologize if my question was not clear enough.

But i found answer for my question.

In Visual Studio 2012 there is an option called 'FileSystem', along with other options: web deploy, web deploy package, FTP, FPSE while publishing the project.

When you select 'File System' , we need to make sure the path where the project is published is the same as the physical path of the application/website under IIS manager.

On the remote server the App pool has to be v4.0 integrated mode, in my case.

And windows authenticated since my app is Intranet app, thats all.

Since web deploy method of publish dint work i had to choose this one.

Any questions let me know.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:11 AM
  • User-1657171777 posted

Here's some simple steps for file system deploy.

1) I suggest mapping a drive to your server instance.  This will require the server to share a directory (and you'll need to determine which server users have access to it).  Connect to the server \\server-name\ and then map the shared drive using the credentials of a valid shared user.

2) In IIS, create a new Virtual directory under your "Web site" that points to the physical location of where you'd like to store your MVC deployment.  The Virtual Directory name will be the root name of your URL.  (if you name your Virtual directory "MyProject", then your URL might look something like http://server-name/MyProject/)

3) Publish the project to your virtual directory location.  To publish via file system, right-click your Project name in the Solution Explorer, choose Publish.  You'll need to provide a mapped network connection to your server as the Target location.  This will require your virtual directory location to be within a shared network resource of your server.

4) Default settings should be fine.  "Release" is the configuration.  Click the Publish button, which will compile your project with a bin directory that contains the application as a DLL, as well as all the files in their project structure.

5) To access your project, you can use the IP address or the server name + the virtual directory name to access the Index view. (http://ip-address/VirtualName/

6) if you use an IIS "website" that isn't the "default web site" (ie, port 80), then you'll have to specify the port # of your web site in the application's address (http://ip-address:8088/VirtualName/    for example)

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:28 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi cmynampati,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

If you want to close the thread, you could mark the helpful reply as answer, then our community members will know this issue is solved.  :)

Best regards

Angie 

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:40 PM