Using Coded UI test as part of Deployment Setup RRS feed

• Question

• This question has multiple parts...sorry in advance for any confusion. 

I have a Lab Center Environment with 2 machines in it (Desktop Clients).  I can deploy (via LabDefaultTemplate build definition) everything to my machines except one application that requires user interaction during the installation process.  

First thought was to create Coded UI tests.  The test works, however, I am having issues with executing them as part of our test plan.  I have about 150 tests in my test plan and my "bucketsize" is still the default of 100.  So my first Test Agent is running that application twice (by the way, I have two test cases in the root of my test plan that execute the Coded UI for installing the application).  

I thought about reducing the "bucketsize" to 1 so the tests would run sequentially between the Test Agents. However, I don't know the impact this will have on the TFS environment.  Does anyone know the system impact/overhead requirements of setting the "bucketsize" to '1'?  

Other thoughts I had were:

• modify the build definition template to run a Coded UI test
    • use PowerShell script in my deployment from my build definition to execute Coded UI

I'm looking for an answer to the bucketsize question and for suggestions/advice on how to implement the deployment of my application that requires user interaction.  

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by Not2Cre8ive Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:13 PM
    • Moved by Tina-Shi Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:09 AM related to the MTM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, you are using LabDefaultTemplate build template.

First, the bucketsize is defined in the test controller (QTControllerConfig.exe.config), since the change is in apply to test controller, so it won’t affect the TFS environment.

Secondly, the tests in a test agent is running in sequential instead of parallel.

For the issue of how to implement the deployment of my application that requires user interaction, it isn’t related to MTM, I suggest that you could post it to Setup & Deployment projects (client application) or Configuration and Deployment (web application).

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since this issue is more related to the MTM, so we will move this case to the MTM forum, you will het better support.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, you are using LabDefaultTemplate build template.

First, the bucketsize is defined in the test controller (QTControllerConfig.exe.config), since the change is in apply to test controller, so it won’t affect the TFS environment.

Secondly, the tests in a test agent is running in sequential instead of parallel.

For the issue of how to implement the deployment of my application that requires user interaction, it isn’t related to MTM, I suggest that you could post it to Setup & Deployment projects (client application) or Configuration and Deployment (web application).

Regards

Starain

Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:12 AM