none
Need to Customize Approval Center for Task Updates in Project Server 2010 (IN SEM) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all.

I need to customize the Approval Center for TASK UPDATES. Following is my functional requirement;

1. Task Updates receive by the project managers should display on Weekly Basis, as displays in the Timesheet. I meant to say that the Task Updates should be displayed WEEK WISE rather than TASK WISE

2. When the Status Update received to the Project Manager for the Approval, The Total Hours column should show only the submitted Timesheet hours (In defualt situation Total Hours displays all the previously approved hours and the newly submitted hours received for approval, theres no differentiation)

3. Deleting and Recalling Timesheet should be reflected in TASK UPDATES of the approval Center. (In default situation When you recall the timsheet (In SEM) the Status Update of that task remains in the Approval Center for the Approval)

4. When there is a task for a team member of two weeks and the team member submits first week task and then again submit the next week task hours to the project manager, and the project Manager hasn't yet Accepted or Rejected the status update of that task. If the project Manager wants then to reject first week hours and accept second week hours on that task. He/She couldnt do it in the defualt situation. The whole two weeks task can either be rejected or accepted. I want that user get the ability to accept/reject first week task hours without influencing on the next week task hours/update.

I have found out with some of my research that i couldn't do all of these things OOB. I need your help. I need to customize the the Status Updates of Approval Center. I am not getting any clue to do so. Neither i have got any code of Approval Center Webpart.

Please suggest me on urgent basis.

Regards

Maaz

Maaz Ibrahim
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:51 AM

All replies

• This doesn't solve your problem, but as feedback, I've looked into doing
    this sort of customization and decided it was too much effort.  To date,
    I do not know of anyone who has managed to modify that view.

I'd recommend some combination of SSRS reports and processes with MS Project
    Professional (i.e. an interim plan, a filter, and a custom view).  That will
    get you the same effect with less work.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

How can i acheive this by using SSRS reports and processes with MSP. MS Project Prof wouldn't give me the functionality of Approve or Reject status update as it is given in the approval center.

My client wants that to be done, for him this Approval Center is disgusting if it doesn't support the above mentioned functionality.

I need to create a custom webpart for acheiving this functionality. For that i need to give the functionality of APPROVE/REJECT the status updates on that webpart. Could anyone please tell me how can i acheive this programmatically.

Your urgent help is sought.

Regards,

Maaz

Maaz Ibrahim
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Well, as I see it, whether or not you approve an update is somewhat irrelevant.  The resource did the work and provided you with an estimate of work remaining.  By "Rejecting" the work, you're basically calling them a liar - which has never made sense to me.  You can't change the past, and you have to trust your resources (to an extent).

Hence, I've only seen Rejecting the task as an option when the resource fat fingered the update and entered something obviously incorrect.

With that in mind, what I've done in the past is something like this:

1) Save an interim plan or a spare baseline before accepting the updates.  (You could even save the MPP file offline).

2) Accept all updates except possibly for the ones that got miskeyed.

3) Run a filter in MPP to determine all changed tasks (or if you saved offline, use the Compare Project Version utility).  Consider an SSRS report at this point to report on all changes (after the project is republished).

4) Modify the MPP as required to meet your needs.

5) Republish.

Good luck in finding an answer to your question though.  I am curious if anyone's been able to do that.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:07 PM
  • What you suggested is a total manual work the Project Manager need to perform. Saving interim plan or spare baseline, run a filter in MPP, modify the MPP. In my case my client is using very basic functionality of EPM. They are not tracking baselines and even their PMs don't want to increase their work by doing the above mentioned activities.

For them i need to give an automated solution which would give a customized view of approval center for Status Updates.

Please suggest!

Maaz Ibrahim
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Agree with Andrew that what you want to change would be very timeconsuming Maaz.  You are not just talking about a view, but actually requesting a design change request for the Single Entry Mode behavior.  All I can suggest is that you turn off SEM and then code using the Timesheet, Statusing web services to acheive exactly what you are looking for - along with your own web parts to interact with the data in whatever way you require.  That is a considerable amount of customization to take on.

Or change the process to ensure that the PM checks and actions the approvals in a timely manner.  Put reporting in place to ensue they can be held accountable.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:47 PM
    Owner
  • Brian, If i create a separate custom webpart and implement some basic functionalities of Approval Center in it, for instance, i provide OOB functionality of APPROVE, REJECT buttons of approval center and provide the weekly tasks in the grid for approval and reject. What do you suggest is it possible to use the OOB functionality of APPROVE/REJECT buttons of Approval Center on a custom webpart page? IF yes how can i achieve this? and also what are the impact of this on overall EPM and its DBs.

Regardsm

Maaz

Maaz Ibrahim
    Friday, August 26, 2011 6:21 AM
  • It isn't OOB if you are implementing through customization.  Any customization is not directly supported by Microsoft - but if you use our AP!'s and follow our documentation and do not make any direct database access then you should be fine.  I don;t have any examples of the kind of changes you are looking to make - and as both Andrew and I have mentioned - this is not going to be a trivial task.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:09 PM
    Owner
  • Brian,

Which API's will i be needing to use to for customization, and what do you mean by not making direct database access?

Maaz Ibrahim
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:48 AM
  • What i mean is that through PSI's which webservice? If i use Statusing webservice, it works on the basis of assignments/ task, i need to achieve this on weekly basis as i mentioned in my initial post.

kindly suggest

Maaz Ibrahim
    Monday, August 29, 2011 9:51 AM
  • You are talking about some very specific customization - you will likely need to do some heavy work pulling data from different web services and then consolidate/aggregate/present in the format you want.  If it was easy we would have told you already :).

If you can't think how you need to do this then perhaps you should consider working with a partner who is used to working with the PSI and doing customizations.

Best regards,

Brian

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:33 PM
    Owner