none
SQL 2016 Database Mail breaks after SP1 CU1 without .net 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I have read quite a bit about this issue and thought I would add this. We had the issue of database mail not working with RTM install. Added the databasemail.exe.config file workaround and mail was working again. The other day we installed SP1 and SP1 CU1 during a maintenance outage and the mail quit working. Re added the config file as it was gone and it's working again. Is this going to be addressed or are we going to have to read this file every time a CU is released? Installing .net 3.5 is not the answer to resolve this issue.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 4:01 PM

Answers

• We investigated and confirm this issue reported. The fix for this issue will be made available in SQL 2016 SP1 CU2.

Parikshit

• Marked as answer by Mark Hood Monday, January 30, 2017 9:57 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:49 PM

All replies

• Thanks Mark for reporting this issue. Did you also observe this issue after applying CU2 or above in SQL 2016 RTM branch or did you experience it starting SP1 and above?. Since there was a fix for this issue in SQL 2016 RTM CU2 branch 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3186435/fix-sql-server-2016-database-mail-does-not-work-on-a-computer-that-does-not-have-the-.net-framework-3.5-installed

We will also investigate on our end and get back to you on this issue.

Parikshit

Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:20 PM
  • We investigated and confirm this issue reported. The fix for this issue will be made available in SQL 2016 SP1 CU2.

Parikshit

• Marked as answer by Mark Hood Monday, January 30, 2017 9:57 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Thanks Parikshit for the quick responses. Sorry I didn't respond to your first request, the alert got caught up in my spam quarantine.

We actually went from RTM CU1 to SP1 CU1, so I don't know if it would have been fixed by RTM CU2 or if we had went to RTM CU4 instead of SP1 CU1. 

Monday, January 30, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Hi Mark,

An update for you. The bug in the setup for SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU1 deletes the config file DatabaseMail.exe.config which breaks Database Mail. The fix for that is released in SQL2016 SP1 CU2 which prevents the DatabaseMail.exe.config file from getting deleted from the machine after installing a CU.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3186435/fix-sql-server-2016-database-mail-does-not-work-on-a-computer-that-does-not-have-the-.net-framework-3.5-installed

So, if you have a working machine running SQL2016 SP1 and install CU2, Database Mail will not break. the same holds true going forward.

In case where you had a broken system (e.g. SQL2016 SP1 + CU1): in that scenario, trying to install a newer CU (e.g. CU2, just like you did) is not going to address the issue. In this case, you still had to apply one of the possible workarounds like:

1) Create the DatabaseMail.exe.config and drop it next to the DatabaseMail.exe under the "Binn" folder. You can use notepad.exe or any other editor to edit it. Just make sure you save it using UTF-8 encoding (in notepad.exe, select "Save As..." and in the "Encoding" combobox select "UTF-8"):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
        <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
    </startup>
    </configuration>

2) Install NetFx3.5 on the machine
    3) Do a repair of SQL 2016 SP1

Parikshit

Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:20 PM
  • This bug has re-appeared in SQL 2016 SP2 CU1 - version 13.0.5149.0

Check your servers, you might have missed emails.

Friday, July 13, 2018 4:36 PM