none
Is it possible to navigate faster in webbrowser control without GUI etc? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If I take a simple example, if we are navigating to a website. For example hotmail.com and want to programatically want to click a button.

The process that takes the longest time is the navigation to a new page (hotmail.com).

What I wonder is if we can make this process faster. I wonder if we do not want to see the GUI or the website at all and just want to navigate and click the button. Could it be faster? Perheps to fill the control with all styles and grahics is timeconsuming.

I am looking for a way to take all unnessary elements away I beleive. I know it is possible to not load images/movie files which takes time but are looking for if can go faster not loading the GUI/graphics/all visual etc to the actual control?

webBrowser1.Navigate("http://hotmail.com"); //Navigate to hotmail takes time
                    webBrowser1.Document.GetElementById("idSIButton9").InvokeMember("click"); //Programatically click a button

• Edited by Silvers2 Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:24 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Silvers,

>>What I wonder is if we can make this process faster. I wonder if we do not want to see the GUI or the website at all and just want to navigate and click the button.

From above message, if you do not want to see the GUI, there is no need to use Webbrowser control, just use HttpWebRequest  to get that web page, but after navigate, then you need to click the button, do you mean the button from that web page (hotmail.com)? If yes, you must to load the GUI.  otherwise, you cannot get that button by GetElementById.

By the way, all tests here were made with a clean cache, so it will always fetch the whole page from the server. If the server response is slow, that's a server issue but not related to your webbowser control.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:09 AM
  • >> do you mean the button from that web page (hotmail.com)?

Yes, as an example I took hotmail.com where I need to click the sign in button. So as I understand it is a must to load the GUI in order to do that process.

Overall is there any other things that could be done in order to do this example to load the page faster. I know it is a server and bandwith issue. But for example it is possible to not load images into the control which makes the request of the page faster.

The goal is to ONLY click that button, it doesn't matter how the page looks like at all. Just as an idéa, is it possible to not load .css styles into the control etc etc, to make it load only the neccessary elements needed to click the button?

Best Regards

• Edited by Silvers2 Monday, February 15, 2016 4:42 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Hi Silvers,

>>Just as an idéa, is it possible to not load .css styles into the control etc etc, to make it load only the neccessary elements needed to click the button?

I've never do that before. But per my understanding, the main cost time is request a response from the server not load .CSS styles. So I am afraid if you could do that sucessfully, you still cannot get your page load faster than before. This is by design issue.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Thank you Kristin,

Yes you are probably correct, the main time must be the loading from server. I will see if any other workaround could be made.

Thank you

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Thank you Kristin,

Yes you are probably correct, the main time must be the loading from server. I will see if any other workaround could be made.

Thank you

You are welcome.

From my personal point, this is a design issue as I said before.

Now I would like to ask you to close this thread by marking helpful reply as an answer. Thanks.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:07 AM