none
Project Server 2010 RBS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are using project server 2010 SP1 October CU. In a scenario A,B,C working under Manager X AND D,E,F working under  Manager Y And G,H,I working under Manager Z. And Managers X,Y,Z are in same level in RBS. According to RBS structure,  Managers X,Y,Z can able to see the projects / details of A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I . How can I restrict Manager X can view only the projects/ details of A,B,C(working under him).

Also is it possible to retrieve the RBS from ERP system and set the value for each users.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Arun
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Arun,

You will need to change the security category for My projects in PWA>Server settings> Manage Category & under the projects section:

1. Uncheck the first option of  "All current and future projects in Project Server database  " radio button:

2. In second otopn  "Only the projects indicated:  "
    Choose the belwo:    

Apply the above Project security permissions to all projects where: (first two-)
    1. The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within that Project
    2. The User is on that project's Project Team
    3. The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS
    4. A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS
    5. The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User

If all the Managers X, Y Z are at the Same RBS level, ignore the last option (5), If you don't want project Managers who has resources under his/Her RBS level, should be able to access their projects, ignore the second last option (4), If there is another project manager who is descendant of the PM (X,Y,Z)via RBS , should not see their projects, ignore option3.

Regarding the next question: "Also is it possible to retrieve the RBS from ERP system and set the value for each users."

Yes, You will need to write a custom application which connects to ERP system & get the RBS values for each user based on the windows account, & update the lookup table RBS , Update the Resource data using Resource web services of PSI.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    • Proposed as answer by aruna22 Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by arun_2014 Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:57 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Arun,

You will need to change the security category for My projects in PWA>Server settings> Manage Category & under the projects section:

1. Uncheck the first option of  "All current and future projects in Project Server database  " radio button:

2. In second otopn  "Only the projects indicated:  "
    Choose the belwo:    

Apply the above Project security permissions to all projects where: (first two-)
    1. The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within that Project
    2. The User is on that project's Project Team
    3. The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS
    4. A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS
    5. The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User

If all the Managers X, Y Z are at the Same RBS level, ignore the last option (5), If you don't want project Managers who has resources under his/Her RBS level, should be able to access their projects, ignore the second last option (4), If there is another project manager who is descendant of the PM (X,Y,Z)via RBS , should not see their projects, ignore option3.

Regarding the next question: "Also is it possible to retrieve the RBS from ERP system and set the value for each users."

Yes, You will need to write a custom application which connects to ERP system & get the RBS values for each user based on the windows account, & update the lookup table RBS , Update the Resource data using Resource web services of PSI.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    • Proposed as answer by aruna22 Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by arun_2014 Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:57 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Thanks for your response, I will try according to your recomendations.

Thanks, Arun
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:57 AM