New blog: Porting tips: bridging differences in the .Net Framework for Windows Runtime apps

General discussion

• Porting tips: bridging differences in the .Net Framework for Windows Runtime apps, http://aka.ms/g3526i, #wsdevsol.Follow us @wsdevsol.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:11 PM

All replies

• Great article thanks.

I'm no stranger to these porting issues, having written an application for simultaneous release as a Windows Runtime app and as a Win7-compatible WPF application. The latter really is a stop-gap until Windows 8.1+ becomes more ubiquitous in the business world. But until then, we do what we must.

Personally I found the MVVM model to be ideal here since both WPF and WinRT are XAML-heavy. But I did a LOT of shimming as Rob suggests in the article. I will say, it's nice, but also sometimes tantalizingly frustrating, how similar the APIs are, yet different enough to cause occasionally huge headaches. These two platforms were not designed (nor, in fairness, are they advertised) to be code-compatible. They could have been, but they're not. Alas. 

Still great advice here, and having gone through this arduous process, I second everything said.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:07 AM