'__GetEntitySetCanInformation' Failed after updated version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using LightSwitch in 3-tier in-browser mode. I got things running smoothly, and (thanks to Beth :-) ) update the application once before. This time, I had an updated that included an update of the database. Installation went pretty smoothly (using webdeploy), and so does editing the Administration Info (Users and Roles), but when I enter one of my own screen, i get:

"Unhandled exception while running screen. Exception: Invoke Operation '__GetEntitySetCanInformation' Failed. Exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.DomainOperationException "

In this other topic (here ) it's mentioned that the server might not be correctly configured, but since I had it working before, that seems unlikely, doesn't it?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stefan Kamphuis

Greetz, Stefan ASP.NET MVP
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:12 PM

Answers

• Solved. Well, not solved, bore like ducked the issue.

I created a new LS application on the same database and deployed it. Worked like a charm. My guess now, is that the issues before where caused by messing around with the database (collations for example).

I rebuilt all of the application in the "new" application, thus avoided having to figure out the issues. Application works smoothly now after deployment. It was even a chance to redo some things more nicely.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm using LightSwitch in 3-tier in-browser mode. I got things running smoothly, and (thanks to Beth :-) ) update the application once before. This time, I had an updated that included an update of the database. Installation went pretty smoothly (using webdeploy), and so does editing the Administration Info (Users and Roles), but when I enter one of my own screen, i get:

"Unhandled exception while running screen. Exception: Invoke Operation '__GetEntitySetCanInformation' Failed. Exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.DomainOperationException "

In this other topic (here ) it's mentioned that the server might not be correctly configured, but since I had it working before, that seems unlikely, doesn't it?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stefan Kamphuis

Stefan, did you upgrade to RIA Service SP1 Beta and updated SL 4, or are still running with RIA V1 with previous SL 4?
    I'm just guessing that you may have changed the libraries that LS is looking for.

WPF/Silverlight Insider
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:21 PM

• Stefan, did you upgrade to RIA Service SP1 Beta and updated SL 4, or are still running with RIA V1 with previous SL 4?
    I'm just guessing that you may have changed the libraries that LS is looking for.

WPF/Silverlight Insider

Hi Ben,

I did not change anything since the working version of the application. At least... not that I'm aware of. That could be the catch of course.

I see WCF RIA Service 1.0 for Visual Studio 2010 installed in "Programs & Features". Does that answer your question?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:29 PM
  • I was just running certain points to keep in mind, since LS B1 was built with RIA V1 and not the SP1 and the newer version of SL built. I just thought I bring it up, in case that's something the team might wanted to ask.

WPF/Silverlight Insider
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:34 PM
  • You triggered me to try and compile the LS App on the server (I installed VS LightSwitch on there, it's good to have a playground server :-) ) and I got this error when compiling:

Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

Let's see if I can figure out some more on this... any help appreciated.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Do you have RIA V1 installed on that server?

WPF/Silverlight Insider
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Next step. Installing WCF RIA V1 SP1 made it possible to compile the project on the server. And it works too (locally on the server). Now let's see what happens if I publish it to IIS...

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Ok... :-)

WPF/Silverlight Insider
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:22 PM
  • No luck I'm afraid.

Once it's deployed, it doesn't work, giving the same message as in post 1:

What puzzles me most, is that it was working in the previous version of my app. I just added a table and a few screens, nothing fancy afaik...

So, anyone?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Solved. Well, not solved, bore like ducked the issue.

I created a new LS application on the same database and deployed it. Worked like a charm. My guess now, is that the issues before where caused by messing around with the database (collations for example).

I rebuilt all of the application in the "new" application, thus avoided having to figure out the issues. Application works smoothly now after deployment. It was even a chance to redo some things more nicely.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I had the same issue and solved it by opening up the web.config for the app deployed on the server and adding the connection string for the _IntrinsicData which was blank. My guess is the LightSwitch deployment process is either broken or fragile and the publish mechanism is omitting to set the value for the _IntrinsicData connection.

By using fiddler I also found after changing the connection string on the server I had to open the LightSwitch Silverlight client in a new tab in order to get it to retry the failing request. Silverlight is probably using the browser cache or something and not re-submitting the data request after it gets an error.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:14 PM