Why does SkyDrive ruin jpgs? RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that there is a policy that the max jpg size allowed on SkyDrive is 2048x2048 (way too small).  However, I am experiencing shrinking behavior that I don't understand...

I uploaded a jpg that was 3648x2736 (4047KB).  When it landed on Skydrive, it had been reduced to 719x539 (123KB).  This is outrageous.  The picture was ruined. 

I get the same results doing it manually via "share on Skydrive" or with the LiveConnectClient object in an app I'm developing.

It seem proper behavior, if you must shrink, would be to take the larger of width or height, reduce it to 2048 maintaining the aspect ratio.

Why is Skydrive in there messing with our content, anyway?

Thanks,

Dean

.net Developer

Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:16 AM

Answers

• When uploading to SkyDrive, I'm seeing the expected behavior -- the photo is reduced to 2048, maintaining the aspect ratio.
    Are you looking at the "type":"full" photo when you see the 719x539 image?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• When uploading to SkyDrive, I'm seeing the expected behavior -- the photo is reduced to 2048, maintaining the aspect ratio.
    Are you looking at the "type":"full" photo when you see the 719x539 image?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Well, I just went back and looked again - downloaded the picture to my desktop and it reduced it to 208x1536 witch is the expected behavior.  So, I must have done something wrong the other day.

BTW, what is "type:Full" ?  Where is that specified?  I just went to www.skydrive.com and I just see the pictures in folders - no opportunity that I see to provide a value for a type parameter.

Anyway, thanks.

Dean

.net Developer

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:48 PM
  • I was testing via the ISDK (isdk.dev.live.com) -- looking at the file id, I saw that there were 4 different "type" options for the same photo: "normal" (600 x 800), "album" (132 x 176), "thumbnail" (72 x 96), and "full" (1536 x 2048).

I'm guessing you may have been looking at the "normal" or "album" type when you saw the 719 x 539 issue.  Glad it's looking correct now...

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Because de REST API of Skydrive have a limit for images: 2048x2048.

Look this official link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh243648.aspx#photo

Regards

Ramon Torras
    Blog: http://www.ibetania.es

RTP

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Where to request the removal of this limitation? Are you planning this?

Now that MS has announced new stuff for SkyDrive and now that Google Drive comes into play, you should waive this limitation. It limits your API hence limits all 3rd party apps in the ecosystem. Please realize this!!!

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

The automatic resizing of photos to 2048x2048 you enforce for photos is a big misconception, cause

1. If people shoot a photo exceeding 2048x2048 they expect the resolution not to be changed. Especially, if they buy additional space they want to store the original photos.

2. The SkyDrive clients for Mac and PC upload the original file and not the downscaled versions. So a typical user expects the same behavior from any 3rd party app using the REST API. The current behavior is highly confusing to the user.

3. If the user actually decides to downscale a photo this should be done in the 3rd party app before the photo is uploaded to SkyDrive. Transferring an original photo and then relying on SkyDrive to downsize it, is a waste of bandwidth.

The automatic resizing makes it very unattractive for any 3rd party app that seriously deals with photos to integrate with SkyDrive. If MS  really want to compete with other cloud services, they should urgently remove this limitation.

Can anyone from MS comment, when this will finally happen?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:32 PM
  • I think they won't continue paying attention to this since it is "marked as answered"? (which ironically it is not...)

It's a pity that such powerful storage service is limited by this. It's a toy API right now, not complete. Our apps using the SkyDrive API are all limited and seem mediocre because lack much of the obvious functionality.

Hey MS, I'm the developer of Handyscan, which you feature as a recommended client app here https://apps.live.com/skydrive

You should listen more and react to developers feedback.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:20 PM
  • I think they won't continue paying attention to this since it is "marked as answered"? (which ironically it is not...)

It's a pity that such powerful storage service is limited by this. It's a toy API right now, not complete. Our apps using the SkyDrive API are all limited and seem mediocre because lack much of the obvious functionality.

Hey MS, I'm the developer of Handyscan, which you feature as a recommended client app here https://apps.live.com/skydrive

You should listen more and react to developers feedback.

Thanks for the feedback and we are paying attention to these discussions. 
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:16 PM
  • It's good that MS is paying attention, but it would be even better, if you would act.

User's are crying for proper photo uploading support to SkyDrive in 3rd party apps. No user understands, why such restrictions exist and it creates a lot of frustration for the users as well as for the developers.

It's simple: Remove the restrictions and create a platform, that is logical to the enduser. Whatever the intentions for the automatic enforced resizing are/were, I don't understand them and no one from Microsoft has ever explained the thinking behind those. The only thing I read here is, that it was a policy. Policies are important, but only if they make sense: This policy makes no sense.

• Edited by hholtmann Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:33 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:31 PM