Does Excluding Folders Speed Up Publishing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a site (6700 files) in which 60% of the files are images. If I exclude the image folders from publishing, will publishing operations get faster?

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    • Edited by Will Fastie Monday, August 2, 2010 6:19 PM typo
    Monday, August 2, 2010 5:58 PM

Answers

• In version 4, yes, with one caveat.  If you have browsed to those files/folders in the Expression Web Folder List or Publishing View, then the speedup may not be as great, since those files are in the cache.  If you haven't, then yes, you'll see a significant improvement, as marking the folder as excluded also excludes it from that "listing" phase of the publishing operation.
    Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:40 PM

All replies

• When I get into publishing large sites, with lots of code, with lots of changes where I want to track exactly what's being updated I use this combination (works great and has saved me countless hours).

1. Use Webdrive to create a drive letter for the site to be updated.

2. Once webdrive is connected I use WinMerge to compare the local copy with the server copy (via the drive letter established in step 1).  WinMerge uses standard file filters so you can include, exclude files to compare.

3. WinMerge presents me with a list of files which are out-of-sync.  I can open a file and see which lines of code need updating.  I can push a line update or push the entire file to update

Make updating complex websites, with lots of code a snap.

Sorry for not answering your specific question but wanted to give you an alternative that has worked very well for me (some of my projects utilize class structures with 10K's of lines of code)...

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Monday, August 2, 2010 6:05 PM
  • In version 4, yes, with one caveat.  If you have browsed to those files/folders in the Expression Web Folder List or Publishing View, then the speedup may not be as great, since those files are in the cache.  If you haven't, then yes, you'll see a significant improvement, as marking the folder as excluded also excludes it from that "listing" phase of the publishing operation.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:40 PM
  • If you have browsed to those files/folders in the Expression Web Folder List or Publishing View, ...
    If I have browsed them during that session of EW4 or ever?
    Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Monday, August 2, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Just during that session.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:50 AM