SPD workflow locks out user account and does not send notification e-mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

one of our customer reports following problem:

Using MOSS2007 with several workflow, e.g. a 'to do list' for technicians.

There is a workflow behind the list to automatically sending an e-mail to the creator of a list item when the technician changes the status (e.g. from "acknowledged" to "finished".

The workflow worked fine for several months until a user's password change.

What happens now is the following:

The technician successfully logs on his workstation with the new credentials. (the old credentials are not saved anywhere else (e.g. Win 7 Credential Manager, I.E.)).

Every time the technician changes the status, the workflow starts, does some things (e.g. does some if-then-querys, writes a log message - all works fine), but when trying to send a mail to the creator of the list item, the credentials of the technician are sent to the domain controller. But these credentials seem to be wrong as there is a corresponding event in the domain controller's event log. Second, the e-mail cannot be sent - SharePoint tells us the e-mail could not be sent because "the settings for external e-mail server are not set" (but they are!).

When changing three ore more list items during the domain policy's time range for unsuccessful logins, the user account is locked out.

This behavior is reported by different users so I rule out problem with a local workstation / user profile.

Any ideas where to look for? Impersonation workflows are no alternative as they are available at SPS2010 and above.

Thanks very much in advance!

Best Regards,

Sven H.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Sven,

Can you send email to the technician and creator directly from Outlook? If no, check your email server.

If it still working, start user profile synchronization, and test how the workflow works.

Do the technician is a common user, service account or application pool account? If it is service account or application pool account, we need to use stsadm command to update his/her password.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:12 AM

All replies

• Having a workflow just to send an Email is not required. I do not know if this is the rite time to tell you an sollution to eliminate the worflow totally...However, Microsoft has provided a Issue Tracking Feature that can used as IT Help Desk /Service Desk etc... This feature will automatically send email through Timer Jobs. There are predefined view that provides Active Items, Closed Items etc...

Hope this information was Helpful!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Sven,

Is this a custom built workflow using Visual Studio or was it created using SharePoint Designer? It sounds like a custom built workflow and I think it's a bug in the code that needs to be looked it.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

I think Pman is right that this is a custom built workflow. maybe the error is within the context of who is actually running the sending of the email. please try to check at this scope. maybe you need to run something in elevated priviledge or impersonate the portion of the code.

Let me know if this helps, Ranjoe

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Pman,

thanks for your answer. It is a SPD (SharePoint Designer) Workflow.

There is no custom code added.

As mentioned above, the workflow worked fine until the users were forced to change their passwords.

Sven H.

"You should always make sure that your computer is completely assembled at any time. This ensures that if kicked at, your foot does not stuck in the motherboard."

Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Hi Sven,

Can you send email to the technician and creator directly from Outlook? If no, check your email server.

If it still working, start user profile synchronization, and test how the workflow works.

Do the technician is a common user, service account or application pool account? If it is service account or application pool account, we need to use stsadm command to update his/her password.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Hi Emir,

thanks for your answer. Yes, sending a mail via Outlook is possible.

The technician is a common user. 

I will try your suggestion (have a look at / (re-)start the user profile synchronization) and will report later. 

Sven H.

"You should always make sure that your computer is completely assembled at any time. This ensures that if kicked at, your foot does not stuck in the motherboard."

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:19 AM