Is It possbile to install a custom template in Blend 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to modify the existing project template, or add your own template to Blend 3?  I know you can with Visual Studio 2008, but there doesn't seem to be a way in Blend.

Greg
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hey Greg,
                    Blend 3 supports custom templates and you should copy these to "%Documents\Expression\Blend 3\ProjectTemplates" and Blend will load them in New Project dialog.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

• Proposed as answer by navits - MSFT Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greg Gum Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:31 AM

All replies

• Well, it turns out that the way to customize or add a new template in Blend 3 is pretty easy.  This data is from trial and error, so it's not official in any way, but all you have to do is go to the Blend 3/ProjectTemplates/en/cSharp/Silverlight folder and copy and paste one of the existing templates into the same folder.  Then go into the csSilverlightWebsite.vstemplate file and edit the xml in several places.  These are the lines I modified:
    <Name _locID="BLEND_ProjectName">Greg's Custom Application + Website</Name>
    <DefaultName>GregWebApplication</DefaultName>
    <TemplateID>Microsoft.Blend.GrebWebApp</TemplateID>

Then I went in and modified the MainPage.xaml to my liking and that was it.  It now shows up as a template under the right category and creates a new project to my specs.

Greg
    • Marked as answer by Greg Gum Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Greg Gum Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hey Greg,
                    Blend 3 supports custom templates and you should copy these to "%Documents\Expression\Blend 3\ProjectTemplates" and Blend will load them in New Project dialog.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

• Proposed as answer by navits - MSFT Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greg Gum Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Excellent, works great.  Thanks.

Greg
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:48 PM
  • This is no longer working for Blend 4. I have a fully licensed and activated version 4.0.20525.0 and whatever trick I do custom project templates are not loaded. I've tried both "%Documents\Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates" folder (btw "ProjectTemplates" one is missing after installation) and the "<blend install dir>/ProjectTemplates/en/cSharp/Silverlight".

I've tried dozen of tricks and even copied the default SL application project template with just chaning some names and it is not shown

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Do you see any errors in Results pane on opening new project dialog? If your custom templates are throwing some errors it should be displayed there. Also, you can send me your custom template at navits at microsoft dot com and I will take a look.

--Navit Saxena

Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:58 PM