none
Crystal Reports Export to Excel Issue with Insert -> Comments menu option RRS feed

• Question

• Steps to recreate the issue...
    1.) Login to any of our internal Websites (C#, ASP.net 2.0) and pull any Crystal Report exporting Excel
    2.) Save the Excel document in XLS format on your local drive somwhere
    3.) In Excel, goto the Insert -> Comments menu option
    4.) Excel will error out and give you a debug screen 

I have already clicked "Send Error Report" to Microsoft .
    I have already tried repairing Excel.
    I have already tried a reboot.

All Web Servers are Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition
    User workstations are all running WinXP, Office 2003
    Sites are developed using C# ASP.NET VS2005 w/ Crystal Reports rpt's embedded right into the .NET project
    Merge Modules used are C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules\CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm

I have sent the error report thru excel many times ... including 06/16/2008 11:10am CT
    Monday, June 16, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

• similiar forum post opened on business objects discussion boards https://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=932108&tstart=0
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:27 PM
  • here's a few related posts from that business objects forum post

Jason Everly  Moderator  SAP Employee

Forum Points: 148
    Solved problem (10)
    Very helpful answer (6)
    Helpful answer (2)
    Re: Crystal Reports Export to Excel Issue with Insert -> Comments menu option  
    Posted: Jun 23, 2008 9:08 PM   in response to: neon primetime in response to: neon primetime
    Hi neon,

I have not heard anything about this.

When you open the resulting export in excel, does it view or does it crash excel?
    If it views in excel then the export has worked as expected.

I believe we export to a much older version of Excel for compatibility concerns so that may have something to do with it.

Jason
    neon primetime

Forum Points: 0

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 9:21 PM   in response to: Jason Everly in response to: Jason Everly
    it will open excel successfully ... (we have the file types option setup in windows explorer so that it opens the excel document in excel instead of in internet explorer). then if you click on any cell and proceed to goto the insert menu and choose comments ... it crashes. And this does not happen with regular excel documents. One thing i've thought of but not sure if it's related is that excel is simply having trouble with all the merged cells that get created by the export?
    Jason Everly  Moderator  SAP Employee

Forum Points: 148
    Solved problem (10)
    Very helpful answer (6)
    Helpful answer (2)
    Posted: Jun 23, 2008 9:40 PM   in response to: neon primetime in response to: neon primetime
    I have not idea why it would happen.
    We merge the cells to try and give the export as close a look to the report as possible.
    Once the report has been exported and views correctly in Excel it is out of our hands.

Your best bet is to talk to Microsoft about this, but even then I am not sure what they could do.

It may just come down to the version of excel we are exporting to (I am not sure what version it is).

Jason
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:48 PM