none
MSDN Subscription renewal - new set of product keys? RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this is the wrong forum to ask this question. 

I have claimed and activated 2/10 Windows 7 product keys. My subscription expires in July and I plan to renew it. Will I get a "fresh" set of 10 product keys for Windows 7? If so, does that mean I'll have a total of 12 keys I can claim? Or will I get 8 new keys (10 - 2)? Or will I not get any new keys at all? 

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:44 PM

Answers

• Great question Dimitar.

When you renew, the expiration date for your subscription moves out by a year.  After you renew, if you haven't claimed any more Windows 7 keys, you'll still see 2/10 Windows 7 Product Keys claimed.

Note that most Windows keys provided in MSDN provide multiple activations each, so the number of computers you can install Windows 7 (and of course, only do development and test work on them), is much higher than 10, for the life if your subscription.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• Great question Dimitar.

When you renew, the expiration date for your subscription moves out by a year.  After you renew, if you haven't claimed any more Windows 7 keys, you'll still see 2/10 Windows 7 Product Keys claimed.

Note that most Windows keys provided in MSDN provide multiple activations each, so the number of computers you can install Windows 7 (and of course, only do development and test work on them), is much higher than 10, for the life if your subscription.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I appear to be a little late to the party, however I must ask, If you have used all ten of your keys the maximum of ten times each they allow (100 activations in total), will buying a new subscription give me ten more? Or am I forced to request the keys to be reset?

Thank you!

Monday, December 24, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Keys are not reset.  They may, in some cases, have activations added to them (raising the number, in your example, of activations from 10 to 20), but they're never reset.  

If you buy another subscription, you'll get more keys.  If you renew your existing subscription, you wont.  

I'd recommend following the guidance here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc137104.aspx which says:

Please note that each product key has multiple activations and many products allow you to install and use the product without activation for 30 days or more. Our research on historical key claiming patterns shows that the majority of subscribers are not impacted by these changes. However, if activating a product key multiple times does not meet your needs or you’ve exhausted the activations, you can submit a request for additional keys through MSDN Customer Service.

Thanks,
    Mike

Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Then what is the purpose of renewing.  Why pay another 4+ grand a year if you don't get more keys for the money.  Seems like the longer you keep your subscription, the less its worth to keep it going. 
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Then what is the purpose of renewing.  Why pay another 4+ grand a year if you don't get more keys for the money.  Seems like the longer you keep your subscription, the less its worth to keep it going. 

Dear Sbuffum,

You can always request for additional keys please contact the Visual Studio Support.

Thanks,
    prathaprabhu

If my reply is useful please mark it as answered as it help other users with the same query.

If my reply is useful please mark it as answered as it help other users with the same query. I am a Microsoft Partner, MVP and MCC and I want to become One Day Microsoft CEO.

Friday, June 2, 2017 11:07 PM