LightSwitch Publishing Wizard sometimes doesn't appear

Question

• Sometimes the LightSwitch Publishing Wizard doesn't appear.  VS 2010 just starts the Publish task as if it were a command line prompt.

I have 3 Windows 2008 servers (1-32bit and 2-64bit) that I've seen this happen on each one.

I'm not certain but it may be related to cleaning and zipping a LightSwitch VS project and moving it from one computer to another computer.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:55 PM

Answers

• I figured it out with the help of Steve and Oscar.

The publish wizard would not come up because of three lines in the <LSAppName>.lsproj.user file:

Here is an example *.lsproj.user file that will ONLY bring up the publish wizard on the original computer that it was published on.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Project ToolsVersion="4.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
     <PropertyGroup>
      <EnableENC>False</EnableENC>
      <ProjectView>ShowAllFiles</ProjectView>
      <ServerPort>51243</ServerPort>
      <GrantedPermissions>
      </GrantedPermissions>
      <AdministratorPassword>AQAAANCMnd8BFdERjHoAwE/Cl+sBAAAAKDfErKotFESSgdPrV/POMQAAAAACAAAAAAADZgAAqAAAABAAAACCMCu0IPu57qpAqetlzwngAAAAAASAAACgAAAAEAAAAOl6lQkKQQnO0RYqRh59HCQQAAAAn17PtfVI9IBgRaN1Th5JTxQAAABjOHzYXKRZz1JMASyQIhaK0Z1rzg==</AdministratorPassword>
      <PublishUserName>administrator</PublishUserName>
      <PublishUserPassword>AQAAANCMnd8BFdERjHoAwE/Cl+sBAAAAKDfErKotFESSgdPrV/POMQAAAAACAAAAAAADZgAAqAAAABAAAAAM/idISnJygCGlKo0365r/AAAAAASAAACgAAAAEAAAACMlFlhnQgMFL7rICgRQCjMYAAAA1Tc4LpepJDVrqXurlSkBwJmG/Nj3kftIFAAAACVDz9WxC2NUsOdX2VbFDld7OqVs</PublishUserPassword>
     </PropertyGroup>
    </Project>

When I remove the following lines:

<AdministratorPassword>AQAAANCMnd8BFdERjHoAwE/Cl+sBAAAAKDfErKotFESSgdPrV/POMQAAAAACAAAAAAADZgAAqAAAABAAAACCMCu0IPu57qpAqetlzwngAAAAAASAAACgAAAAEAAAAOl6lQkKQQnO0RYqRh59HCQQAAAAn17PtfVI9IBgRaN1Th5JTxQAAABjOHzYXKRZz1JMASyQIhaK0Z1rzg==</AdministratorPassword>
      <PublishUserPassword>AQAAANCMnd8BFdERjHoAwE/Cl+sBAAAAKDfErKotFESSgdPrV/POMQAAAAACAAAAAAADZgAAqAAAABAAAAAM/idISnJygCGlKo0365r/AAAAAASAAACgAAAAEAAAACMlFlhnQgMFL7rICgRQCjMYAAAA1Tc4LpepJDVrqXurlSkBwJmG/Nj3kftIFAAAACVDz9WxC2NUsOdX2VbFDld7OqVs</PublishUserPassword>

The project now brings up the publish wizard on every machine that it is migrated to.

Steve, I'll email you a bare bones empty project.

To track this down, I removed all screens, code, and the custom data source from my original project.  It still didn't publish.  Sooo . . . I created an identical project from scratch and replaced the *.LSML file.  It still didn't publish.

The next logical step was to look at the project files.  hehe . . . yeah, too bad I didn't start with the project files - I would have saved some time.

This was driving me crazy as it kept happening.

Whew . . . I'm glad we have this resolved!!

Many thanks again for help from Steve and Oscar.

I'd appreciate it if someone on the LS team could confirm this and to make an appropriate change in Beta2 to prevent this from happening.

Thx,

Garth

Monday, October 04, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Garth,

This was also reported by another user here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitchgeneral/thread/831a7fb6-69a3-4490-8754-1521275a4df9

It sounds like this could be a subtle bug. When you say "sometimes doesn't appear", is this sometimes it does appear for the same project, or it appears for some projects and not for others?

Anything else that you can pin down that might be different when it doesn't appear?

Thanks,

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the V-Bee
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Thanks, Steve.  I should have done a better job of searching for the earlier post from Yannis.

Since I'm not the only one seeing this problem, I'll see if I can provide more details the next time it happens.

I'm wondering if others have LightSwitch running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (or Windows Server 2008 Standard 64bit) with SharePoint Foundation 2010 installed.

I've been focusing on trying to get a deployment to work (no runtime errors) to demonstrate LightSwitch for an internal management group.  I'm still not having much luck.   I had an initial app working earlier last week on a Windows Server 2008 32bit but haven't had any luck since installing the new SL patch.  I've been deinstalling and installing all the possible software parts and systematically trying to resolve the problems.  There is a lot of headbanging going on during the process but the brick wall seems to be holding its own.

So . . . I'd love to hear from someone that has a test LightSwitch deployment working with a 3T App Type using Forms authentication with SharePoint Foundation 2010 runing on either Windows Server 2008 64bit or 2008 R2.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 4:07 AM
  • I seem to remember seeing reported in one of the threads here that there's a new Sharepoint 2010 update (search for all Sharepoint) that evidently fixed things right up once it was installed on the Sharepoint server.
    If you believe that I've answered your question, please remember to mark it as answered.

MicroApplications, Inc. -- Information Systems Integration and Custom Software Development
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:21 PM
  • @Steve:   I can send you a single table/screen app that will not publish.   I have other apps that publish just fine.   Please let me know how to send you a zip file.   The project initially did bring up the Deployment Wizard.

I don't see any way to include an attachment with the forum.  It seems that just code sections are suportted.  Please let me know if I've missed seeing attachment support.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Garth -

You can send the project to me at shoag at microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:30 PM
  • @bbakermai:  I am running with the 4/22/10 original install of SP Foundation 2010 - Version:  14.0.4763.1000

Please let me know if you know of a required update/patch.   I looked around but didn't have any luck finding an update.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I figured it out with the help of Steve and Oscar.

The publish wizard would not come up because of three lines in the <LSAppName>.lsproj.user file:

Here is an example *.lsproj.user file that will ONLY bring up the publish wizard on the original computer that it was published on.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Project ToolsVersion="4.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
     <PropertyGroup>
      <EnableENC>False</EnableENC>
      <ProjectView>ShowAllFiles</ProjectView>
      <ServerPort>51243</ServerPort>
      <GrantedPermissions>
      </GrantedPermissions>
     </PropertyGroup>
    </Project>

When I remove the following lines:

The project now brings up the publish wizard on every machine that it is migrated to.

Steve, I'll email you a bare bones empty project.

To track this down, I removed all screens, code, and the custom data source from my original project.  It still didn't publish.  Sooo . . . I created an identical project from scratch and replaced the *.LSML file.  It still didn't publish.

The next logical step was to look at the project files.  hehe . . . yeah, too bad I didn't start with the project files - I would have saved some time.

This was driving me crazy as it kept happening.

Whew . . . I'm glad we have this resolved!!

Many thanks again for help from Steve and Oscar.

I'd appreciate it if someone on the LS team could confirm this and to make an appropriate change in Beta2 to prevent this from happening.

Thx,

Garth

Monday, October 04, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Always does not appear. My lsproj.user is clean as a whistle.
    mysorian
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:23 PM
  • There is some way to "reset" Visual Studio.   I had a similar problem on another machine and got LS working again by doing a simple procedure that was like reinstalling VS to a default installation.

I think it was this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247075.aspx

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Thanks I will give it a try.

mysorian
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Thanks for the hint. Just wanted to let you know that it did not work.
    mysorian
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:06 PM
  • I know the pain your are going through.  You have my sympathy.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:23 PM
  • I have exact same problem - publish wizard doesn't show any more on one project while it works on newly created projects. 

My lsproj.user didn't have filled user information. I also created new project and tried to cleanup .lsproj and .user files to match those in new project (where publish wizard gets displayed), but still without result. 

Any idea which other files should I take into consideration? What can cause this behaviour?

One thing that is specific to this one is that I created new project and then copied ApplicationDefinition.lsml from another project. Could this cause this issue?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Bump. Still no clues on this one?

EDIT: I figured it out. Problem was caused by changing connectionString in <membership>, <roleManager> and <profile> in web.config file. 

So, before it was:

<add name="AspNetMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="_IntrinsicData" applicationName="GableciAdmin" requiresUniqueEmail="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" />

and I changed it to:

<add name="AspNetMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="GableciData" applicationName="GableciAdmin" requiresUniqueEmail="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" />
    I did the same for other two providers and that was enough to break Publish Wizard.

I wanted to use my existing asp.net membership while developing application, so I adjusted connectionString in web.config, so providers were pointed to that existing database. Membership did work on debug, but Publish Wizard got broken. 

Is this a bug or intended behaviour?

• Proposed as answer by Mario Blataric Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:18 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Windows 7 OS

Which one Beta1 or Beta 2?

It worked from day 1 on Beta2.

I could not get it to work on Beta1 except once in the very beginning.

Windows XP Pro with SP3

No problem. Worked on two machines one older than the other by about 6 years.

mysorian
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2, Lightswitch Beta 2. 

Works on new projects, doesn't work when membership connectionstring is changed in web.config to something else than default, works again when those values are changed to _IntrinsicData

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Mario,

"Is this a bug or intended behaviour?" I'm pretty sure this is the intended behavior. The Publish Wizard is expecting the web.config to be unaltered, and apparently won't start up if the file is missing or altered. I'm surprised that there is no error message, though - that seems like a bug.

Regards,

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Actually, you can make quite a changes in web.config, publish wizard still works. For instance, I added <machineKey>, changed <forms> values - that doesn't seem to bother Publish wizard - but non-default connection name for asp.net membership parts  - does. 

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:50 PM