Blend on Mac? RRS feed

• Question

• It was my understanding that Blend would work on a mac. I downloaded the studio trial, which shows mac support on the download page, but cannot figure out how to install it. Is there a trick to this?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:31 PM

Answers

• Kirk is correct we do have Mac requirements - Expression Media is the product in the Studio that runs on the Mac, all other products are Windows only.

In terms of using the other Expression products on the Mac they all run well under Parallels (which is included in the Expression Subscription), as well as VMware Fusion and as Stephen said if you've got an Intel Mac you can also use Boot Camp - which is actually how I run the Studio.

Jon Harris
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:26 PM

All replies

• No you can't do this.
    http://www.xna101.net
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Interesting that they show Mac under their requirements.

I thought that was a big selling point - let your graphics people use their Macs to design and your developers use their Windows machines to program and let XAML bridge the gap.

That's Disappointing.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:50 PM
  • I'd love to see where they say Mac. I'm sure you got it wrong
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:09 PM
  • You could use a virtual windows to run it. Check out Fusion from VMware. Not that expensive and works well. You will need a valid copy of windows.

Or you could use boot camp. I'm assuming you have an Intel Mac.

= Stephen Cox
    • Edited by Stephen Cox Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:02 PM removed extra sig.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:02 PM
  • With only WPF/E supported on MAC and not WPF it's not gonna happen...

one part of me wants full WPF support on the MAC so we can make our program we develop cross platform. but the other part of me really wants MS to keep it Windows only to the can get the edge back in the OS wars once all the WPF apps come flooding out.  It's gonna make OS X apps look like a toy graphically.

s>

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:05 PM
  • I am sucessfully running the expression studio via a virtual machine (windows XP) on my iMac.
    By enabeling OS X features and shortcuts in the VM i can drag and drop files between windows and leopard with ease.
    However, a mac version of the studio would be advantageous.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Kirk is correct we do have Mac requirements - Expression Media is the product in the Studio that runs on the Mac, all other products are Windows only.

In terms of using the other Expression products on the Mac they all run well under Parallels (which is included in the Expression Subscription), as well as VMware Fusion and as Stephen said if you've got an Intel Mac you can also use Boot Camp - which is actually how I run the Studio.

Jon Harris
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:26 PM
  • I don't understand why anyone would believe that somehow wpf and this nasty cumbersome xaml is somehow superior to anything that can be built on mac. Strictly from an interface designers perspective this whole suite sucks..and that's after spending the last month learning xaml. One only need have a look at the fuzzy font rendering to figure its better to stick to standard windows forms than waste time with wpf....microsoft zombies...if they'll put it out you'll use it and love it. regardless how functional or dysfunctional it might be....good luck playing catch up
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Yes, WPF is superior to anything on the mac platform.
    If you can't see that, then you really have no business here.

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Ugh, can we not get into the OS war garbage? It really has no place here, regardless of what your opinions and preferences are.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 9:28 PM