none
Bing V8. Problem when change the visibility of one layer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I  am using Bing V8 to show different kind of layers, the problem is that after change the visibility of one layer, bing reload all visible layers in the map.

Please, could you tell me if there are any method to avoid this behavior? or maybe this is a bug? 

Thank you.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is by design as the layers are flattened into a single HTML5 canvas when rendered.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:55 PM
  • I have to say this is a major disappointment. I often have 6-7 layers active at one time. This means if I add a layer,  change the opacity or color palette of a particular layer, the whole map, plus every layer reloads?

v7 handled this nicely. This is possibly a deterrent for v8, because layering is such a powertool for us.

For example below we have:
    1. bathymetric lines
    2. ocean current arrows
    3. ocean altimetry lines
    4. ocean data layer (with color palette and opacity dynamically adjusted)
    5. atmospheric cloud layer
    6. bing labels

7. push pins

this is a basic configuration. Users often add additional overlay layers, change opacity/color palettes.
    reloading the map each time a layer is added or adjusted is very frustrating

(note the flood waters in Louisiana are pushing into the Gulf of Mexico, indicated by dirty water (red/green) flowing through the mouth of the Mississippi River)

• Edited by Lan-Lord Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:19 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:13 PM
  • This is actually something we plan to change. In the future we plan to have a separate canvas for each layer potentially. We also have an animated tile layer feature coming soon which switches between layers very smoothly.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:06 PM
  • I would be very interested in knowing when this animated tile layer is available. Will this be posted on the forums when this is available? Thank you.

What's up.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:53 PM
  • This is actually already available in the experimental branch and will likely be in the main release branch in the next week or two. We have an example in the interactive SDK here: http://www.bing.com/api/maps/mapcontrol/isdk?autoRedirect=false#weatherRadarMap+JS I'm writing the documentation for MSDN as we speak.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:55 PM
  • This is actually something we plan to change. In the future we plan to have a separate canvas for each layer potentially. We also have an animated tile layer feature coming soon which switches between layers very smoothly.

Do you have an ETA for the capability to put each layer in a separate canvas?

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:34 PM
  • I don't have an ETA for that feature.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Ok - any update or ETA on improving the layer reload behavior? or any recommendations/workarounds on how to improve this behavior? v8 will be a no-go until this behavior is fixed.

Please see the v8 layering demo below

v8 layers reload

• Edited by Lan-Lord Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:58 PM fix link
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:57 PM
  • No ETA at this time.

Friday, September 30, 2016 1:06 AM