Deploying applications into a Citrix environment using ClickOnce. RRS feed

• Question

•  

im trying to deploy .net applications into a Citrix environment using ClickOnce.

My problem is that when a client pc, through Citrix environment try to run the application using ClickOnce, the application data and setup process are downloaded to the client's local pc and not to Citrix enviroment (at user's profile on Citrix Server)....that means that the ClickOnce (application process (exe) ) is not running at user's profile on Citrix Server as i expected, but at user's profile on client pc.

How can i change that? I know that on Citrix Environment, if a user has the priviledge to run for example a Microsoft Office Application, the application is not actually running at the clients machine, but on citrix server.

Any idea, any help...accepted!!!!!!!

Thursday, September 6, 2007 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

First I will confirm my understanding of the issue with you, if there is any misunderstanding or inconsistency, please let me know.

You want to Deploying applications into a Citrix environment using ClickOnce.

“ As I understand it, Citrix works like Terminal Services, in that when a user logs in through Citrix, they are logging in using a profile on the Citrix server as if they logged in locally to that box. If that is not correct, I apologize. Let me know how it does work from the perspective of the Citrix server.

If that is the case, then having them launch a ClickOnce app while logged in through Citrix means the app would be deployed to their local profile on the Citrix server, and yes you get one per server per user.

There is no way through the ClickOnce mechanisms to avoid this. Keep in mind that .NET applications are typically very small, on the order of a couple of megs for a fairly large application with no resources. If the app will have large resources like images, local databases, etc., then you may have a storage problem. “

For more information ,please check following articles:

http://briannoyes.net/CommentView.aspx?guid=9cc9ee60-f212-44d6-af33-dcf5279976fd

If you have any further questionplease do not hesitate to let me know. 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi

First I will confirm my understanding of the issue with you, if there is any misunderstanding or inconsistency, please let me know.

You want to Deploying applications into a Citrix environment using ClickOnce.

“ As I understand it, Citrix works like Terminal Services, in that when a user logs in through Citrix, they are logging in using a profile on the Citrix server as if they logged in locally to that box. If that is not correct, I apologize. Let me know how it does work from the perspective of the Citrix server.

If that is the case, then having them launch a ClickOnce app while logged in through Citrix means the app would be deployed to their local profile on the Citrix server, and yes you get one per server per user.

There is no way through the ClickOnce mechanisms to avoid this. Keep in mind that .NET applications are typically very small, on the order of a couple of megs for a fairly large application with no resources. If the app will have large resources like images, local databases, etc., then you may have a storage problem. “

For more information ,please check following articles:

http://briannoyes.net/CommentView.aspx?guid=9cc9ee60-f212-44d6-af33-dcf5279976fd

If you have any further questionplease do not hesitate to let me know. 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:08 AM
  • Hi there and thanks for your reply,

the problem i have is that launching a ClickOnce application while logged in through Citrix does not deploy to the local profile on the Citrix server, but at the pc im using the Citrix client.

The (ClickOnce) application is not well-known at the Citrix server, is not installed (like an ordinary application as Microsoft Office, which is actually installed) . Maybe that is why the deployment happens at Citrix client pc and Not on Citrix server.

Is there a way i can control this. I dont want to change the ClickOnce architecture of the application and loose the priviledges of that. I know that if i make a msi and install as administrator the application on Citrix server, then it will work as it should be but i want to avoid this.

Is there a way to controls that problem???? Maybe i should first log through Remoting to the local profile on Citrix Server, and run ClickOnce application there, so first time the setup.exe of clickOnce to run there and create all the necessary application files and then use the Citrix client to get that process which will be known to the Citrix Server.

If you have any idea, please let me know....

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:27 AM
  • In the published application setup, use application and not content and use the following:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://host/clickonce.application"

It will install under the user profile the first time, but after that it will launch the ClickOnce client.

The only issue I have now is after you exit the ClickOnce client, an active session remains open with the server. I believe it eventually times out however, I havent tested it that far.

I hope that helps everyone!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:09 AM