none
Unable to start host instance after modifying BTSNTSvc.exe.config file RRS feed

• Question

• I posted a similar issue earlier, and decided to post another question now that I am using Windows Server 2012. Previous post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2438b688-cb01-4662-b894-bc2027d62027/error-using-modified-btsntsvcexeconfig-file?forum=biztalkgeneral

Now that I am using a supported OS for BizTalk Server 2013, I am unable to start host instances after modifying the BTSNTSvc.exe.config file.  The config file content (cleansed of sensitive data) is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <configuration>
      <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" />
        <supportedRuntime version="2.0.50727" />
      </startup>

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <probing privatePath="BizTalk Assemblies;Developer Tools;Tracking;Tracking\interop" />
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>

<configSections>
        <section name="xlangs" type="Microsoft.XLANGs.BizTalk.CrossProcess.XmlSerializationConfigurationSectionHandler, Microsoft.XLANGs.BizTalk.CrossProcess" />
      </configSections>

<xlangs>
        <Configuration>
          <AppDomains AssembliesPerDomain="10">
            <DefaultSpec SecondsIdleBeforeShutdown="1200" SecondsEmptyBeforeShutdown="1800"/>
            <AppDomainSpecs>
              <AppDomainSpec Name="MyAppDomain" SecondsIdleBeforeShutdown="-1" SecondsEmptyBeforeShutdown="12000"/>
            </AppDomainSpecs>
            <ExactAssignmentRules>
              <ExactAssignmentRule AssemblyName="MyQualifiedAssemblyName1" AppDomainName="MyAppDomain" />
              <ExactAssignmentRule AssemblyName="MyQualifiedAssemblyName2" AppDomainName="MyAppDomain"/>
            </ExactAssignmentRules>
          </AppDomains>
        </Configuration>
      </xlangs>

<system.runtime.remoting>

<channelSinkProviders>
          <serverProviders>
            <provider id="sspi" type="Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.SecurityServerChannelSinkProvider,Microsoft.XLANGs.BizTalk.Engine" securityPackage="ntlm" authenticationLevel="packetPrivacy" />
          </serverProviders>
        </channelSinkProviders>

<application>
          <channels>
            <channel ref="tcp" port="0" name="">
              <serverProviders>
                <provider ref="sspi" />
                <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full"/>
              </serverProviders>
            </channel>
          </channels>
        </application>
      </system.runtime.remoting>

</configuration>

Notice the only section that has been added is the "xlangs" and the runtime section also allows loading .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.5.

I am getting the following popup and error in the event log after attempting to start the host instance.

*** POPUP FROM BTS Admin Console ***
    TITLE: BizTalk Server Administration
    ------------------------------

Starting instance of host BtsHost on server MyComputer failed.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47400&ProdName=Microsoft+BizTalk+Server+2013&ProdVer=3.10.229.0&EvtSrc=Microsoft.BizTalk.Administration.SnapIn.Properties.Errors&EvtID=HostInstance_UnmapServerHostInstanceFailed

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to start the BizTalk Host instance. Check the event log on the server "MyComputer" for more details.

Internal error: "Unspecified error" (WinMgmt)

BUTTONS:

OK

*** EVENT LOG ***
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        BizTalk Server
    Date:          2/23/2014 11:27:20 AM
    Event ID:      5410
    Task Category: BizTalk Server
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      MyComputer
    Description:
    A failure occurred when executing a Windows service request.

Service request: Start

BizTalk host name: BtsHost
     Windows service name: BTSSvc$BtsHost

Additional error information:
     Error code: 0x80131604
     Error source: mscorlib
     Error description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="BizTalk Server" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="16576">5410</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-23T19:27:20.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2940</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>MyComputer</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>A failure occurred when executing a Windows service request.

Service request: Start

BizTalk host name: BtsHost
     Windows service name: BTSSvc$BtsHost

Additional error information:
     Error code: 0x80131604
     Error source: mscorlib
     Error description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Has anyone experienced this error?  Were you able to resolve it?  If so, how?

Thank you

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:31 PM

Answers

• I opened a support case with Microsoft and the resolution was to move the <configSections> to the top of the configuration file.

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:46 PM

All replies

• In a document (albeit for v2006) I found the following statement in reference to where the XLANG element should be posiitoned. [http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647898.aspx - point 3]

"Add the following section to the end of the BTSNTSvc.exe.config file, immediately above the closing </configuration> element."

Secondly I've only been able to find bits and pieces pertaining to usage of this element.

Maybe a support call with Microsoft would help?

Regards.

• Edited by Shankycheil Monday, February 24, 2014 6:12 AM edit
    • Proposed as answer by Chandra Kumar Monday, February 24, 2014 2:44 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by David K. Downing Friday, February 28, 2014 4:25 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 6:11 AM
  • Thank you Shankycheil.

The only config sections that I can get working are <connectionStrings> and <appSettings> which are pretty standard.  Because we use the Enterprise Libraries, there are many additional sections needed, so we need to take advantage of the <configSections> to extend the config file.

FYI, the <xlangs> section above is used to control how long an application domain is kept loaded before unloading it.  We use it to keep our real time components alive so they don't time out.

I believe a support call will probably be needed.  I thought I had this working on Windows Server 2012 prior to upgrading to Windows Server 2012 R2, but that may not be the case.

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Windows Server 2012 R2? Maybe that is where the problem is.. I have not encoutered any documentation from Microsoft pertaining to BizTalk 2013 support on Windows 2012 R2. Even the CU listed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2555976/en-us do not mention anything in this regards.

All I've found is a promise @http://blogs.msdn.com/b/biztalknotes/archive/2013/10/29/biztalk-2013-compatibility-with-latest-platforms-of-microsoft.aspx which is about 3 months old.

Regards.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Thank you, however this post is regarding Windows Server 2012... my previous post was relating to Windows Server 2012 R2.

Snippet from your article link:

As we already know that BizTalk 2013 traditionally supports Windows Server 2012, Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:45 PM
  • I opened a support case with Microsoft and the resolution was to move the <configSections> to the top of the configuration file.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:46 PM