how can i can make usb installer from iso file? RRS feed

• Question

• i want to copy iso file  to usb drive to make it windows installer. How can do it with code?
    Monday, May 4, 2015 9:29 PM

Answers

• VB.Net is probably not the most suitable environment for something like that. Also, this: "copy iso file  to usb drive to make it windows installer" doesn't really make sense.  If it is an ISO then it needs to be mounted and whatever files it contains can then be accessed or executed.  I'm not sure how a Windows Installer fits in.

In any case, mounting an ISO is likely (can't say as I know for certain) a complex process involving enough unmanaged code that it would be better written in C++.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Monday, May 4, 2015 10:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by ulasank Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:47 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 9:56 PM

All replies

• VB.Net is probably not the most suitable environment for something like that. Also, this: "copy iso file  to usb drive to make it windows installer" doesn't really make sense.  If it is an ISO then it needs to be mounted and whatever files it contains can then be accessed or executed.  I'm not sure how a Windows Installer fits in.

In any case, mounting an ISO is likely (can't say as I know for certain) a complex process involving enough unmanaged code that it would be better written in C++.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by ulasank Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:47 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 9:56 PM
  • Can you please describe what you are trying to do in more detail? .ISO files are just like archives and all you need to do is copy the files from that .ISO into a folder. Just like Reed said - VB.NET is probably incapable of doing this (or at least the solution will be very 'inelegant'). I'm sure that there are scripts out there that can extract files out of an .ISO all you will have to do is to modify the destination to be your desired USB drive.
    Monday, May 4, 2015 10:13 PM
  • i want to copy iso file  to usb drive to make it windows installer. How can do it with code?

I will guess what you mean is for a USB drive with an ISO on it to act like a CD or DVD where it will begin installing an app when the USB is inserted into a PC's USB port like a CD or DVD can do when installed into a CD/DVD drive on a PC.

A long time ago I provided a link to a person that converted C# code from one of the links to VB.Net code to do this apparently. But I never did although the person said it worked. And I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not. The links in my posts appear unbroken still. Below is the link to the thread.

How to record boot sector into pendrive with VB.net?

Below is another link for .Net Disk Utilities but I don't believe it has what you want.

CodePlex - .NET DiscUtils

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:27 PM