none
large dataset dropdown filter RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I find that the ReportViewer control works well when the dropdown filters consist of small sets of data, but fails miserably with dropdown filters consisting of large datasets. the query performance is incredibly fast. however, my bottleneck appears to be the rendering phase on my web browser. the problem gets worse as more dropdown filters are added, the entire report contents, filters and all are reloaded as a single unit.

it would be nice to improve upon the ReportViewer Control and create asynchronous combo box filters.

thoughts?

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• I also have this problem.  I'd pretty much give my life for a solution as I need to deploy many reports that have 2000+ parameter entries.  I knwo its combo-box-abuse...but there's simply no way around it.

What we decided to do, as we experience the exact same bottleneck on web is to write  alittle VB.NET app using the Report View control and deploy the app to a citrix machine so our users can have the ginormous parameter selections they want.  We tested and it does work just fine!  Who knew. 

Should anyone have any input I"d be glad for it as well.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:31 PM