Where's a good place to start? RRS feed

• Question

• I did C++ in High School and Java in college. However, I've never programmed GUI stuff.

What's a good book to pick up and start reading on SilverLight? I'm hoping to create a flash card game down the road =).

Thanks.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Angelo,

If you have done C++ then C# won't be much difficult for you but with Visual Studio its easy to get the syntax right because of intellisense, I recommend you to get started with C# for dummies, I think dummies is the best place to get started, you just need to get hold of few concepts before you decide to start buidling applications.

Anyways, with Silverlight its a different matter, but if you have done JavaScript then get started with Silverlight 1.0 instead of Silverlight 2.0, but if you haven't then it doesn't matter the best place to start Silverlight is doing stuff in Expression Blend 2.5 and looking at the XAML closley for whats happening, if you know how to code XAML then you can easily deal with anything in Managed Code (C#/VB.NET) its all XAML in Silverlight after all.

So start with Blend, just draw objects and look at the xaml for whats happening, and by that time if you get hold of C# syntax/concepts then you can start building real apps, also take a look at Learn from the menu above you if need to get hold of few concepts, I am sure its gonna be fun but you need patience.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:01 AM