none
dbghelp.dll (6.3.9600.17209, part of Windows SDK 8.1) and support on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have some debugging tools related questions, in regard to support on Windows Server 2008 as well as documentation. My application distributes dbghelp.dll, so you may focus your answers on this library.

If you can reply only to some of the questions below, please do so an I will surely mark your reply as answer as well immediately.

1) Windows SDK 8.1 allows building of desktop apps for target platform Windows Server 2008 (SP2 and R2 as well). However Debugging Tools are running only on Windows Server 2008 R2. I interpret this as "You may run a Windows SDK 8.1 App on Windows Server 2008 SP2, but you cannot (fully!?) debug it". Could someone with more info please confirm this? To which extent is Windows Server 2008 SP2 not supported in terms of the Debugging Tools (eventually also in terms of dbghelp.dll, as this is the one I am using)?
      References: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/hardware/ff551063
                        https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852363
      1.1) Maybe related to this, which may explain the documentation difference (?):
        the ::SymGetLineFromAddr64() API from dbghelp.dll (6.3.9600.17209) fails only on Windows Server 2008 SP2 with error 487 (ERROR_INVALID_ADDRESS "Attempt to access invalid address."). This API runs perfectly on Windows 7 and above.

2) Where can one have a list with the latest available dbghelp versions? There was in the past a very nice list (see below), but seems not to be up to date anymore. Is this due to the move of debugging tools in the Windows SDK 8.x? Is there a new list somewhere else that I can use? The last version of dbghelp.dll that I am aware of is 6.3.9600.17209.
      References: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms679294(v=vs.85).aspx

3) Is there a central place where I can learn about any known/open issues or limitations of dbghelp.dll? In certain industries this is something which shall be documented / analyzed, if info is available.

Kind regards,

M.

• Moved by Shu 2017 Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:58 AM from VC++ forum
    • Edited by MariusDe Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:56 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi MariusDe,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

From your description, it seems that you have no VC++ IDE or development issue in your post. You issue is more related to desktop debugging so I will move your thread to Windows Desktop Debugging forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Shu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:58 AM