none
Windows CE 5.0 on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing problems with Windows CE 5.0 on my Windows 7 (32-bit) PC. During installation of Windows CE 5.0, I encouter the receive the compatibility message that says "Windows CE/Mobile SDK is incompatible with this version of Windows...". I changed the compatibility of the setup.exe to Windows XP (Service Pack 3), but the incompatibility message still appears. I continued with the installation of the Windows CE 5.0. The installation goes through fine, but when I fire up the Platform builder to sysgen and build my OS workspace, it just hangs. I need the Task manager to kill the PB.

Is there any updates or solutions from Microsoft to resolve the compatibility problem of Windows CE 5.0 on Windows 7 (32-bit) ?

Thanks,

Manas.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Manas

No, I'm not aware of any updates to resolve this.

Either install Windows CE 5.0 on a PC running Windows XP
    - OR -
    use "Windows XP Mode" (XP running in a Virtual Machine) to install PB 5.0 on your Windows 7 box

Michael

MVP Windows Embedded
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Koster Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I am taking that step of virtual machine that you have mentioned. Another thing is that, there is a tweak I learnt from my colleague, that currently helps me to build OS image on my win 7 Pc using PB 5.0. I just changed the way PB starts by running it thru a batch file, which just contains start cepb.exe, thts it and PB5.0 runs fine on my win7. 

Manas.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Hi Manas

That's good news.

Since I'm dealing with projects using Windows CE 5.0, Windows Embedded CE 6 and Compact 7. Installing different Platform Builder versions side by side on a single PC is not supported. So I'm using Virtual Machines to work with CE5 or CE6 projects - I only keep Compact 7 on my PC.

Michael

MVP Windows Embedded
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:23 AM