Changing aircraft through the launcher RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about using the ESP Launcher demo - is it possible to also select aircraft from outside ESP as well as the mission?

I'm just wondering if there's a way to let the user change aircraft before starting ESP, if I don't have dev mode enabled.

I know that missions are linked to saved flights, but are there parameters in the flight that I can change safely through some regular C++/c# code to create a flight file dynamically before appending the mission to it, so I can give my user a set of missions to use as well as a set of aircraft?

Thanks,
    David
    Monday, May 5, 2008 12:21 PM

Answers

• There are parameters in the flight file that detail engine properties, etc; perhaps they were not appropriately modified? As far as I'm aware there is no way of opening ESP such that it only allows one selection of aircraft. I think you are best off persuing the solution you have described so far, write a custom GUI that enables aircraft selection before launching ESP.

Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 5:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• David,

First I must tell you I haven't played around with the ESP Launcher Demo. However, from the command line you can start ESP into a particular flight:

> esp.exe -flt:"full-path-to-flight-file.FLT"

Also you can manually create flight files, or write a script that will generate them depending upon parameters chosen by the user. The key sections are those starting with [Sim.0] which defines the aircraft used, and [SimVars.0] which details the state of the aircraft at the beginning of the flight. So to answer your question, you can have a simple GUI where the user selects the aircraft, location, etc; and the GUI then generates a flight file and saves it...before then calling ESP to load that flight file.

So the answer to your question is yes, but I personally don't know how that fits into the launcher sample code. If you are going to allow a customisable flight file, you will have to be careful with the options you offer - so that the file does not conflict with the mission you append to it.

I hope that helps,

James.

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks James,

Well, the launcher pretty much calls the esp.exe with the flt command line stuff appended to it.

I've tried before changing the aircraft from a helicoputer to an F-18, and had some wierdness with it only having one of the engines on, though I copied almost everything from a different saved flight I made that had an F-18 as the selected aircraft already. I guess I didn't copy everything, or left something that I thought was the same between the two flight files.

Are there certain parameters that are defaulted by ESP if they're not specified in the flight? I guess I'm looking to see what would be the bare minimum I'd have to worry about is in order to do something like this, and to see what I want/need to offer a user when selecting an aircraft.

It would be super swell if you could launch ESP and have it start up with the aircraft selection window open straight away, then after it's closed you can't change it later (if ESP was launched in regular mode instead of dev mode, that is). 

Thanks,
    David
    Monday, May 5, 2008 4:33 PM
  • There are parameters in the flight file that detail engine properties, etc; perhaps they were not appropriately modified? As far as I'm aware there is no way of opening ESP such that it only allows one selection of aircraft. I think you are best off persuing the solution you have described so far, write a custom GUI that enables aircraft selection before launching ESP.

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Foamy,

I guess you're right. I'll just have to create/save some flights for aircraft I want, and then keep the parameters for them saved, so I can use them in my custom flight file when that aircraft is selected.

Thanks,
    David
    Monday, May 5, 2008 6:26 PM