none
Download section is broken RRS feed

  • Question

  • Guys, it’s impossible to download anything from MSDN using latest browsers. Five minutes ago I’ve was trying to download Windows XP SP 3 from my MSDN subscription. When I am clicking on “download” link, Internet Explorer displayed alert stating that pop up has been blocked. I’ve disabled pop up blocker, added MSDN site to trusted sites and turned on compatibility mode. None of these have fixed the issue. I’ve attempted to use Google Chrome 1.0.154.59 with no luck. Finally I’ve used Firefox 3.0.10. When “download” link is clicked file save dialog pops up prompting to save Default.aspx file.  I had to manually install MS FTM and then open Default.aspx with it to begin download process.  Guys, please update download section of the site to work with latest browsers, because what you guys currently have is unacceptable.

     

    Regards,

    ITRushn

    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:51 AM

Answers

  • There is an increased demand on the servers, most people are having this issue. Its being worked on.
    Matthew Arkin ITligence Computer Services Microsoft Partner OEM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:31 PM

All replies

  • Thanks for your question ITRushn.

    I was just able to use IE8 to download products from Subscriber Downloads, so this may be a configuration problem.  Please see this page to troubleshoot your browser settings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb497972.aspx.    This page includes the same steps you list with FireFox so perhaps you've seen it already. 

    If you continue to have problems downloading, please contact your MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service Center listed here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

    Thanks,
    Mike
    MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:18 PM
    Moderator
  • I'm having the same problem this morning. I was able to start a dl of Win7 RC1 (Which is ungodly slllllooowww) but then I could not access anything else. I attempted to re-login and got "There was an unexpected error while attempting to retrieve your profile data." posted to the right side of the screen. Since then cleaned the cache several times, making sure all form data was included but no dice. I also tried re-associating the account and that failed as well.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:55 PM
  • There is an increased demand on the servers, most people are having this issue. Its being worked on.
    Matthew Arkin ITligence Computer Services Microsoft Partner OEM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:31 PM